Mandalorian Rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hermanjc

Reaction score
I have been thinking of this one for some time now, including the idea of making it big enough to actually put two motors in the jetpack, but to start I have settled with a Mandalorian wearing a jetpack figure with the rocket tube up through the legs and body. Unfortunately this also means the "nose" of the rocket is his head, which will be ejected for recovery. Rest assured, others had commented on a previous thread this is in no violation of the Mandalorian Creed so long as his head stays within the helmet.

Basically I 3D printed an action figure model (one I purchased online, not made myself) with as thin of a shell as I could. I made a few modifications to fit the final product around a BT-55 tube and tilt his head at an upward looking angle. I am hoping to have this launch on either a C or D engine, but I will probably also have to 3D Print a screw on motor retainer to make that happen (not impossible but some concern around melting...)

More to come, I am hoping this one will be fun to watch.
IMG_20210225_085230506.jpg
IMG_20210225_085152634.jpgIMG_20210225_085201304.jpg
IMG_20210225_122208232.jpgIMG_20210225_122217999.jpg
IMG_20210225_122106111.jpgIMG_20210225_122109918.jpgIMG_20210225_122113010.jpg

I have been thinking of this one for some time now, including the idea of making it big enough to actually put two motors in the jetpack, but to start I have settled with a Mandalorian wearing a jetpack figure with the rocket tube up through the legs and body. Unfortunately this also means the "nose" of the rocket is his head, which will be ejected for recovery. Rest assured, others had commented on a previous thread this is in no violation of the Mandalorian Creed so long as his head stays within the helmet.

Basically I 3D printed an action figure model (one I purchased online, not made myself) with as thin of a shell as I could. I made a few modifications to fit the final product around a BT-55 tube and tilt his head at an upward looking angle. I am hoping to have this launch on either a C or D engine, but I will probably also have to 3D Print a screw on motor retainer to make that happen (not impossible but some concern around melting...)

More to come, I am hoping this one will be fun to watch.
View attachment 452289
View attachment 452287View attachment 452288
View attachment 452293View attachment 452294
View attachment 452290View attachment 452291View attachment 452292

Neat concept.

Are you planning on fins, or?

Food for thought: A double conical ring arrangement at the base that would look like a platform from the side would be a good look, and double as a display stand..

Neat concept.

Are you planning on fins, or?

Food for thought: A double conical ring arrangement at the base that would look like a platform from the side would be a good look, and double as a display stand..
I am planning on fins, and the link @BABAR provided along with your suggestion might be the perfect solution. Otherwise I was thinking curved fins with the mudhorn sigil on them.

Looks GREAT.
LOL...My kids saw it and want one to fly. The 8 year old watches the series over and over.

Good luck with it, we want video...

(I explained its not a kit, and his response was "it should be".)

Last edited:
Could make the engine end of it threaded to accept a standard threaded retainer, instead of the 3 flanges, maybe?

@BABAR @lakeroadster
How's thing for a Base Ring Fin? Still need to print it to see if its workable, but the intent is to print a retainer cap for the motor too (which is why there are 3 flanges around the center ring.
View attachment 453243
View attachment 453244

I would make the outer ring conical, to add more drag. Your figurine likely won't be stable without the drag. Plus... it will look more robust.

Please excuse my amateur cross sectional sketch....

Mandalorian.jpg

I would make the outer ring conical, to add more drag. Your figurine likely won't be stable without the drag. Plus... it will look more robust.

Please excuse my amateur cross sectional sketch....

View attachment 453311
I might mess around with the model a bit to see if I can achieve that.

The first print of the ring fin is 42g. The Mando himself is 64g total. With a 18" length BT-50 and a D12 motor the weight is about 160g. When I fill the helmet with 40g of BBs the CG is about halfway up his calves. Gonna need a rocksim model to see where the CP lines up.

Parachute will be a tight squeeze, but doable.
IMG_20210302_224009119.jpg
IMG_20210302_224022733.jpg
IMG_20210302_224130287.jpg

I might mess around with the model a bit to see if I can achieve that.

The first print of the ring fin is 42g. The Mando himself is 64g total. With a 18" length BT-50 and a D12 motor the weight is about 160g. When I fill the helmet with 40g of BBs the CG is about halfway up his calves. Gonna need a rocksim model to see where the CP lines up.

Parachute will be a tight squeeze, but doable.
View attachment 453317
View attachment 453318
View attachment 453319

My mindsim says this will be a skywriter unless you add a ton (well not an actual ton) of base drag.

Cool is the rule, but sometimes, that means the stability is bad.....

Back