Making mylar parachutes

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pat Butler

Reaction score
I've bought some mylar and want to make my own parachutes. I can think of a number of different ways to design and cut them. Would it be best to use a full size template (like Masonite hardboard) to cut them out, or would it be easier to fold the mylar so that I only have to make a few slices with the exacto knife? I can see where folding the mylar might not work so well because it can be slippery. Any ideas on the best way to do this? thanks!

Pat

It's only a parachute. Pick up the mylar sheet by grabbing a tiny pinch, pull the sheet down to form an even spike, and chop off the bottom to rough-cut your basic circle. Unfold and trim the edges to 'round' them nice and pretty. Done.

Yes, you could use a template to lay on the mylar. I just don't happen to like keeping up with stuff like templates. It's only a parachute.

I use posterboard octagon templates 9, 12, 18 inch to cut out use a razor blade#11 and for shroud line I reinforce with stick on plastic. It is from page reinforcement for a 3 ring binder. For the chutes and streamers I use the left over gift wrap from christmas

I made a set of hexagonal templates out of pressboard, 12", 18", 24", copied from Estes chutes I think. we make parachutes quickly and easily out of mylar (space blankets, heavier mylar is for streamers), dry cleaner bags, Disneyland & Legoland plastic bags, Target bags - whatever has a design we like.

When I punch holes I first place a solid reinforcement sticker (kind of like a 3/8 inch colored dot) then use a small hole punch to punch through the sticker and chute material. I then put a clear notebook paper reinforcement on each side of the chute around the puched hole.

I made Sho-Card (Heavy 14ply cardboard) 12 point templated for 3" to 28". 28" is the width of the Sho-Card, and 1/4" masonite 12 point templates for 30" to 48", and a 4 x 4 table top cover of 1/2" plywood to cut the on:)
Over the years I think i've tried just about every cutting edge I've came across, but tend to revert back to a sharpened and stropped #11 X-acto for most of the 3" to 36" 1/4mil mylar chutes. half mil and plastic sheet it's a little easier on larger diameter chutes with a rotary fabric cutter with great CARE. Much care is needed if your trying to use a rotary blade with cardstock templetes, that super sharp blade will cut the template like butter with a hot knife:( Rotary's work best with either 1/8" or 1/4" tampered massonite templates.
For storing my templates they hang nested on a coathanger fashioned hook in the rafters against the back wall in the shop, out of the way but instantly accessable.

These 12 point templates were designed for competition chutes using 6 kevlar thread shroud lines, but easily convert to standard 6 point Sport chutes by skipping every other point. made it simpler than two sets of templates. 12 shrouds give a nearly hemispheric inflated profile which helps dampen the side to side spill swing during decent.

Powder if it's only a parasheet, why don't ya just use the lower half of a lightweight, thin plastic shoppping bag? My nephew (13 at the time) shares your thoughts on chutes, he hasn't made a parasheet since his second model 5 or 6 year ago:) He really likes CVS bags. the smaller ones about 12" wide. He chops off about 2/3rds of the open end keeping the sealed bottom and attaches 6 shrouds at "about" equal spacing. A little babypowder and he's good to go:D:D Seems to work fine for all his BT-50 and up size sport models.

I just cut a square of mylar in the desired size. I then fold it diagonally, then fold the left side to the right side. For an 8-sided chute, I repeat that fold three time, then cut the excess from the bottom with scissors(try it w/ a piece of paper, you'll see what I mean). I then use hole re-inforcers, mylar thread, and a snap swivel to complete the chute.

Here are some tips for great mylar chutes....

-All of my chute patterns are made of 1/4" foam board. It's cheap and very easy to cut. It's also lasts forever!

-Get a fiskars cutting matt...the largest you can find. Preferably at the local Walmart craft section.

-Buy a fiskars cutting wheel and a long steel ruler

-Using Black magic marker, draw lines and using a steel ruler, use circular cutter and start cutting up that pizza....I mean parachute.

-In each corner of the chute, stick an avery clear re-enforcement on each side (you can find these in Office Depot or Staples)

-Using a paper puch, puch a hole through the two re-enforcements.

-Tie some nice kevlar lines and go launchin!

Originally posted by Micromeister

Powder if it's only a parasheet, why don't ya just use the lower half of a lightweight, thin plastic shoppping bag?

DOH!!

(Slaps forehead)

Why didn't I think of that??

Al

Lots of good ideas. I've been building all sorts of jigs lately, might as well start cutting out some parachute templates too. thanks to everyone.

Pat

Back