Making Hollow Composite Fins for Instrumentation Tips?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Javacat1

Reaction score
Hey y'all, my university's rocket team was looking at potentially integrating thermistors into composite fins for our Spaceport rocket in future years. The leading idea was to create a hollow fin shell and do something like a carbon fiber layup over the shell. The two leading thoughts for doing something like that was either 3d printing the form, or using a hexagonal phenolic material that we could slide thermistors through. Any thoughts on trying this?

Mill half pocket, wire channel, and alignment holes in half thickness fin stock. Flip over and mill airfoil. Epoxy your thermistors and fin halves together.

Last edited:
Was also thinking of bonding the thermistors directly into the fin.
This would be better to get good thermal conductivity from fin surface to the thermistor.

Was also thinking of bonding the thermistors directly into the fin.
This would be better to get good thermal conductivity from fin surface to the thermistor.
Oh yeah I forgot to mention that we would be bonding the thermistors to the fin, it's just a matter of getting them inside the fin that's the main problem

Ok, if you are doing a CF layer then route channels in the core and lay in the thermistors. Then do the CF lamination to seal them in.

I did some fins that had a G10 isogrid core and CF skins, so essentially hollow. Technique here:
https://forum.ausrocketry.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5019&start=31ReadyForSecondSide.JPG

Note that I tried using a 3D-printed core first, unsuccessfully, before going to a CNC routed G10 core which worked well. Velocity on the flight topped out at M2.14 successfully.

Back