Making Decals

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crashin J

Reaction score
How do you guys make decals with your computers? Is it possible to do water slide decals with a Ink Jet Printer?

I tried to do a search but I have yet to be successful here. It just does not work for some reason.

Anyway someone please tell me how to make decals with my computer!

:p :p :p
Crashin J

i've used bel-decals a few times. Have had great results, but some things you need to be aware of...

- Use artwork of the highest possible resolution, for crisp decals.

- IMPORTANT!: Be sure to use the sealant that they recommend. Inkjet ink is water soluable and they will run if not sealed.

- You are printing on a sheet of decal base material. The whole sheet is covered. This is not like silk-screen decals found in kits, where there is a clear decal base aound the artwork. Your decal shape (the area around your artwork) will be the exact shape that YOU cut it out to.

- The decal paper comes in two versions: Clear and White.

- Use clear when printing decals to be placed on a WHITE rocket. Use white paper for all other applications.

- Inkjet ink is translucent, meaning that background colors will come through your decal. If you print a yellow decal on clear paper and put it on a red rocket, your decal will go mostly red and you won't even be able to see it...

- The white paper eliminates this as the white background on this paper is opaque and other colors will not come through.

- PROBLEM with this though... If, for example, you want to put yellow lettering on a red rocket... If you print it on clear you won't see the decal... if you print on white, you will have a white border around your decal...

- one solution, create artwork with your yellow letters on a red background then print on white paper. This will allow you to cut out your decal in the red area in the hopes that this red matches your red paint.

- ultimate solution is an ALPS printer with white ink. If you have one and want to know how to best use it for decals, let me know.

overall, my opinion is that, other than proto typing and decals for white rockets, your best bet for cost effective, high quality waterslide decals (in very low volumn) would be Tango-Papa. He does great work, quickly and fully custom.

While not the best photo's, here are two rockets with decals I printed on bel-decal paper:

U.S.S. Grissom:
https://jflis.com/hobbies/rocketry/grand_rocket/images/P5190046.jpg

mini-orbital transport (13mm):
https://jflis.com/hobbies/rocketry/grand_rocket/images/P5190047.jpg

You have to see these up close to really appreciate them. Tonight, when I get home, I will see about getting closeup pix of these two models for this thread.

jim

OK guys. I broke down and bought a 2nd hand ALPS MD-1000. It came with a bag of 20 ink cartidges, incl white, clear and metallics. I have printed a few test pages, and I am getting horizontal white streaks every 1/2 inch or so. Any suggestions as to what this is and how I can fix it?

Do you get the streaks with different colors or only with one color? Also can you print a test page and scan it to a JPG file so I can get a look at it?

Ken Holloway, NAR #78336, L-1

Originally posted by astronboy
I have printed a few test pages, and I am getting horizontal white streaks every 1/2 inch or so. Any suggestions as to what this is and how I can fix it?

I think thats your print heads, if you can get the printer to clean the heads but they may need replacing. Not 100% sure though.

Mike,

I don't think it is dirty or clogged printheads.

ALPS printers use a unique ink transfer process. The printhead has a heater element in it and runs quite hot. The ink is "ironed" onto the paper or other media from a coated tape that is pressed against the paper by the printhead. Sufficient force to transfer the ink is supplied by a backing paten that supports the paper or media. I like this process because it produces printouts that can not be smudged.

With the blank lines occurring every 1/2" I'd guess that the printhead and the backup paten are mis-aligned so that there is no pressure applied at either the forward or rear edge of the printed stripe. However, I really need to see a copy of the printout determine this.

Ken Holloway, NAR #78336, L-1

you can get plan sheets from tower hobbys and that already have a good selection

CrashinJ
I've been making my own decals for awhile now. The Alps printer is still the best way to go, the machine is no longer being marketed in the USA but supplies are still available. Tango Papa and other are useing this machine. The trick I haven't seen anyone post is you Must overcoat clear Any Alps printed decal. Second tip. when printing on clear use the overprint function and double print the decal. this is especially true for White and light color. Jifis mentioned printing on white with the model background color, which is a good idea as long as you don't need a huge decal.
I have found tapeing the decal sheet on a flat surface and giving the entire sheet two light coats of "testors Matte Clear" not gloss clear which will wrinkle the printed decals, is the best way to insure your custom decals slide off as one piece. OBTW this trick works on old decal sheets also, I used the original decals on my lastest interceptor model that was purchased in the late 70's, I only lost one of the decals near the outside edge of the sheet:) If you want a gloss finish on the model, apply gloss clear over the matte about a week after the decals have been applied.
Some of the folks I fly with are useing the Ink-Jet printer decal papers from Micro-Marks www.micromark.com and report good results, these Must be cut to size then clear coated to seal the edges I think but I haven't used this material yet. NO white or matallics but good shape colors I'm told.

Astronboy: you may have a head problem, but before attempting to have the machine repaired, try carefully cleaning the moveable head plate with a cotton tipped swab and alcohol taking care NOT to get the alcohol on the left hand plate. The heads do indeed get gunked up with the dry print media. If you still have noticable "blank" lines every 1/2" then you will need to contact alps to see if they will repair the machine, sorry for the bad news. One more observation, sometimes a given media tape leaves a line, have you tried replacing the tapes?
Hope this helps

Thanks. One thing.... I have an MD-1000, and cannot locate any overprint function. Where is this?

I have already tried cleaning the head and platen with no luck.

I guess that my next place to go is with ALPS?

Astronboy:
the overprint option is in the Alps printing program options screen, where you select the type of paper, size and print mode. at the lower right should be a graphic of the printer with a check box for overprint on the left. chech the box tells the printer not to eject the page.
Alps had a web site. Not sure of the address.
hope this helps

Back