MakerX Hobby/Craft Tool System...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deandome

Reaction score
https://www.worx.com/makerx/crafting-tools.htmlrotary tool/cutoff tool/soldering iron/airbrush/heat-gun 'pen'

My dremel crapped out, and I just found & ordered this system w/rotary tool, cutoff tool and heat 'pen'. So no review yet, but I really like the 'philosophy' of the system; skinny tools (w/brushless motors) using a cord connected to a rechargeable battery. Still portable, but much more nimble than a Dremel...and that's not figuring in the other tools, which are cool too! I'll report back after I receive/use it

1618952524339.png

I have the rotary tool, soldering iron (that’s what it is - don’t know why Worx calls it a “crafter”), and the airbrush - I haven’t used the airbrush yet. The rotary tool is solid though I don’t care for the speed control on the power supply rather than the tool but it does rocket stuff as well as my Craftsman brand Dremel. The soldering iron also works well for rocketry related work - I have other irons for heavier household and vehicle use. They are a bit of a compromise - battery powered so great portability but you still have a power cord to deal with but the tools themselves are nicely made and lightweight. The airbrush is different - the “compressor” is part of the gun while the cord attaches to the battery power supply - not heavy really but heavier than a regular airbrush. Overall, considering what I paid for everything during a sale and with a coupon I’m satisfied - sign up for their emails and wait for a deal that suits you, I would never pay “ MSRP” for Worx stuff (like shopping at Kohl’s, everything from Worx goes on “sale” eventually).

It was announced in October, probby didn't ship till a few months ago, so I'd be surprised if anyone has it yet. Gimme a week for an initial review, order has already shipped!! Kinda regretting not adding in the airbrush; I have a good paasche one, so i didn't bother, but the portability makes it a different beast. oh well, the bare tool's only $50, I can add it later.

I've also always been intrigued by Proxxon tools; super high-quality German engineered/European manufactured tools, they have battery, 120v and a 12v system with a power station, similar to MakerX. Not as $$ as I remembered, but their portable units are big/fat, and skinny 12v option needs AC power, so I figured I'd give Worx a try. I really think that small angle grinder/cutoff tool will be handy in the field.

Color me wrong 😬!!
I think they're pitching the soldering iron as being good for woodburning, too, thus the fact they're keeping the name vague.

I got a $10 off coupon from the website, but didn't see any lower prices onine than they offered on the Worx site. but you're right, the brand does get discounted, but I was thinking this was too new, and I need a rotary tool NOW.

My SLI team actually has a pretty good complement of this setup. They made extensive use of the soldering iron trying to trouble shoot their electronics at the field. Seemed to work okay. The 2" disc grinder seemed to die anytime any decent oomph was put into it. Not sure if this was just a weak battery or an overload of the system. Otherwise, seemed to be a decent product. I might look into it myself.

Back