Makerbeam 10x10mm Rail -- Rail Guides vs. Rail Buttons -- help needed???

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigMacDaddy

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Hey folks -- Has anyone compared these 3D printed rail lugs -- https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2082034 (or similar) -- to rail buttons or the other H/I style rail guides folks have posted about?

I printed some of these and they seem to slide on the rail quite well but I did notice that if the rocket canted some that the rail lug would bind up - as little as a degree or two was enough to bind it. I bevled the ends of the T portion and this made it better but it still binds with a few degrees cant.

My setup: I printed 2x 20mm rail guides to go around 16" apart towards the base of a 6' tall BT50 rocket.

I was thinking that a rail button would be more tolerant of rocket cant since it is round so I also played with 3D printing an actual rail button. I can get a decent little button that fits on the Makerbeam even with a .4mm nozzle on the 3D printer. Not the most beautiful since they are so small but I think with the right design and print orientation I think these can be pretty sturdy for this purpose. Again have not tested these for actual launches.

Building a setup with two 10x10mm 1.5m Makerbeams and one 20x20mm 2m rail (80/20 Brand).

I’ve flown several rockets multiple times using rail guides - no issues. I used guides because those particular rockets weren’t well suited for buttons - thin wall tubes and lightweight centering rings - much simpler to epoxy on guides rather than retrofit the reinforcement buttons would need.

I’ve flown several rockets multiple times using rail guides - no issues. I used guides because those particular rockets weren’t well suited for buttons - thin wall tubes and lightweight centering rings - much simpler to epoxy on guides rather than retrofit the reinforcement buttons would need.

Thanks -- this is great to know, it is easier / cheaper / more flexible for me to print rail guides so it is great that these do not have issues.

I cut a 2' section of rail so that I can better align these but not sure if that is easier than simply using a center line to line them up. With launch rods I usually use a piece of rod to line up straws if I will use more than one but the rail gets in the way too much to see what is going on. Maybe I will print a tab on the rail guide so I can mount it in a slot in the rocket (wonder if that will help me keep these straight). Seems like there is more tolerance with straws and launch rods.

Thanks -- this is great to know, it is easier / cheaper / more flexible for me to print rail guides so it is great that these do not have issues.

I cut a 2' section of rail so that I can better align these but not sure if that is easier than simply using a center line to line them up. With launch rods I usually use a piece of rod to line up straws if I will use more than one but the rail gets in the way too much to see what is going on. Maybe I will print a tab on the rail guide so I can mount it in a slot in the rocket (wonder if that will help me keep these straight). Seems like there is more tolerance with straws and launch rods.
I align mine by snapping a section of 1/8” launch rod (several of those around from past starter set purchases) into the center channel of the guide then lining up the whole thing along a lightly drawn pencil line, then tape it down snug with several wraps of “de-stickied” masking tape until the epoxy cures. Surely not the only way to do it but it works for me.

Back