Mailing Tube E30 Cluster launched today

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jerryb

Reaction score
I built a scratch built mailing tube rocket about 3 months ago, and finally got around to throwing it up to the Rocket Gods...

I purchased 2 AT E30-7 motors for it initially, and after some extended discussions over clustering AP motors.. i decided I had better try some estes E9's in it... that is... until I got to the field today.... I had just launched my newly built V2 on an E9-8... about 5 seconds too much delay there... came to the realization that those E30's were in the engine box... I also had some First Fire Jr ignitors... and decided today was the day...

hooked those boys up... got 3 people ready with cameras....

5-4-3-2-1- GONE!! geezums that thing jumped off the pad.. it hit about 2000 feet when the chute deployed... couldnt have timed the delay better if i had wanted to... right at peak the 36" chute popped and opened... jogged almost a 1/2 mile to catch the thing... wind caught it just as about to grab it... missed it and it smacked into the pavement of the road and cracked a fin... (note... notice beer gut in photo... jogging that 1/2 mile.. in 95 deg heat... WHAT was i thinking!! haha)

Wife thought she caught it at launch... NOPE... too fast off the pad...

we had 3 cameras... 2 of them folks that can usually do a good job of at least getting it in frame.... nada...

On chute... thats a 36" chute... pretty teensie...lol

Wow - sorry to hear about the fin, but it sounds like it can be fixed and flown again.

Loopy

Waaaay cool idea for the 90 degree piece of ductwork for a blast deflector...

I like the look of your tripod launch pad. How did you fasten the rod to the top of the tripod?

-- Jim

those are not my pads... my 12v system battery was low..so I launched on a buddies gear...but i've got a very similar setup..

imagine this... the standard thread on a camera tripod matches exactly with the threads coming out of a standard keyless drill chuck

I've bought two of them from that Harbor tool company for a couple bucks a piece for my tripods...

later
Jerryb

Originally posted by jcsalem
I like the look of your tripod launch pad. How did you fasten the rod to the top of the tripod?

-- Jim

Originally posted by Fore Check
Waaaay cool idea for the 90 degree piece of ductwork for a blast deflector...

yea... the 90deg prevents blast back scorching those underside fin paint jobs...lol...

Back