Maiden Launch of Cosmodrome Black Brandt II pics

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

firemanup

Reaction score
Well we got out and did some flying today.... and got the BB2 up for it's maiden flight so I thought i'd share some pics...

First the rocket..

now the aftermath, everything came back under chute ok, BUT

Apparently those sharp edged plywood fins are stronger than the balsa nosecone.. cone came back and hit a fin.. looks like someone took a hatchet to it now..:mad:

Will replace it with a plastic cone and hopefully not have this problem in the future..

Full details and pics from the launch are on the webpage, click on the launches link then the 7-24-04 launch link.. enjoy...

"shark bait woohaha..."

Sorry to see about the nosecone on a beautiful rocket. The G64 makes for an excellent photo op I see...Very nice job!

fins are extremly strong, someone showed me a fiberglass nosecone that was ripped way down the side because it nicked a fin

The balsa nose cones is what turns me off about the Cosmodrome kits. They seem to look like really nice kits but I don't want a nose cone to look like a hungry dog took a bite out of it after one flight.

Resin would work but I'm sure it would be way too heavy and expensive so I'm sure a good quality plastic would be the way to go.

I kinda like the Vostok myself although the BB2 looks awesome too.

what a cool looking rocket:)
awesome pic, too bad the NC was damaged

You should check out Red Arrow Hobby's 2.56" (PN - RAHNC256C) conical nosecone. It's made of fiberglass and filled with 2 part foam. Only $12.95.

VERY nice bird BTW! Perhaps someday I'll get around to building my scratch BB2.

Nice job Jason -- too bad about the nosecone. The balsa nosecones are one of the things I like about the Cosmodrome kits. I'm still trying to finish up the Nike Smoke and although I fear I could have similar problems I enjoyed the sanding/filling/sanding/sealing/painting.

NICE rocket!!! I've already flown mine on G35's...THREE times!

Oops, I meant the smaller one :eek:

Really, they're both quite sweet... too bad about the NC. What's a flown rocket wthout a war wound or two?

Originally posted by Donaldsrockets
The balsa nose cones is what turns me off about the Cosmodrome kits. They seem to look like really nice kits but I don't want a nose cone to look like a hungry dog took a bite out of it after one flight.

Who needs dogs ; I'll loan you my wood chewing macaw. We'll get that thing properly detailed before it flys.

Cosmodrone really does a nice job on the nose cones. I've got the Nike Smoke kit waiting to be done. One of these days.....

Al
BRS VP

Originally posted by eugenefl
You should check out Red Arrow Hobby's 2.56" (PN - RAHNC256C) conical nosecone. It's made of fiberglass and filled with 2 part foam. Only $12.95.

I saw they have a nose & tail cone set for about 19 bucks. Do you think it'd be worth it to replace the tail cone, too? I can't imagine it would see that much damage.

Did you sand the faceted airfoils on the fins, or just round them? I'd like to build this kit just for the challenge of doing all that by hand and getting it right. It's probably a real screamer on an H180.:D

Chilly,

I did the leading edge, and trailing edge to scale, marked out using their measurements and did them both and they came out pretty nice.

There's a third angle between the leading edge back about halfway down the fin, that angle i didn't attempt, i had the other two done nicely, and that one looked pretty difficult for me and i didn't want to mess up the other two... so... i left it with just the two.. still looks pretty nice..

I'll be getting ahold of RAH here this week sometime if i can find the money..heh... and order a new nose cone.. the tail cone is pretty well protected inbetween those fins i think it's going to be fine..

I don't know how well the Red Arrow nose cone will match.

I have all the parts to make a 2.6" BBII...someday.

sandman

Back