Maiden flight of my Super Big Bertha

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vance in AK

Reaction score
The weather today was too good to pass up so I took out my SBB and flew it nekid. 15* above & only about 6 knots of wind out of the NE. It doesn't get much better than that here this time of year. I wanted to wait until it's painted but the 14 day forcast didn't look too promising.
Only launched twice, both times on E9s. Thanks again for the "E" motor hook Flying Silverad, & thanks for evryone that suggested I set it up for Es. I'm glad I went that direction.
Both flights were very stable & what a flyer!! Even my wife was impressed. I made her do the second launch.
Recovery was fine on both flights. All in all very uneventful, but very memorable. This was my first E launch, & my first launch on anything bigger than a C since I got back into the sport a year ago after a 33yr break. I think I had a D powered ship back then, but I don't remember what it was. Anyway, lots of fun. Trudging 100 yds thru knee deep snow both times for the recovery wasn't though. Take the snowshoes next time!.
Does anyone have a sim that gives the projected altitude with the E9 in a SBB built otherwise stock?
Thanks, Vance in AK.

Congratulations...sounds like a winning combo...Please say you made pictures...!!! I imagine it's quite spectactular scenery up there...(But)...kinda too cool for me...I'm a beach type old dude...!!!

Again Great job...!!! Congrats all around....!!!

Unfortunately no pics because I was taking a video to show my daughters later. Teach them to go to the movies with their aunt!
There will be pics next time.
Vance in AK.

Way cool on the Bertha launch Lance!!! Ya know though you are gonna get grief about pics, but as long as you had fun, that's what counts!

Carl

Vance, nice mini-report. You mentioned you're just now getting into midpower. Are you planning a progression into F or G range? I tell ya, if you've never experienced a composite motor, hang on to your hat because your first F or G will knock your socks off! Sounds like you had a great time. Sometimes grabbing your favorite rocket and heading out alone or with a buddy is good and hits the spot.

Funny you should mention that Eugene.
I just picked up the Phantom 4000 mentioned in my other thread, & it's designed to fly on Fs & Gs. Looks like fun, but I must admit I picked it up for Ken.
It looks like a wonderful kit, rugged & simple to build, & I like the design, but at this stage in my life(two daughters that like to fly rockets, ages 8 & 10, a new 3mo old son, a wonderful wife that's a stay at home mom, & a modest income, & not complaining about any of them:D :D :D ) I just can't afford to fly it. I can fly all afternoon with the kids for the price of two flights with this. On top of that I enjoy the A-E stuff plenty!
Maybe someday I'll get the bug to go bigger, but I'm content here for now. Of course my next project may be a mosquito on an E.
Un fortunately, other than my family & my kids friends when they are with us, I don't know anyone else around here that plays with rockets. Gotta get the word out somehow.
Vance in AK.

I ended up and breaking down buying a 24mm mount...
Now my sons "BIG BERTHA" is ready to rock and roll...
Assuming he glues it right (I'll be watching), I can't wait...!!!
Wish him luck...!!!

Back