Magnus Recovery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JAL3

Reaction score
To me one of the more interesting and enigmatic parts of Tim VanMilligan's book is the short entry on Magnus rotation recovery. It piqued my interest but I have very little info on it.

I did get to see an experimental design Art Applewhite was working on but it seems to have been shelved for the time being.

Does anyone have any reliable Magnus recovery plans or models? Photos would be nice. Vids would be nicer.

Francis Graham published a series of articles in his local club newsletter about "Rockets Beyond Strange" and he discusses the Magnus Effect for both liftoff and recovery. He was sending out copies for a SASE with $2.00 postage and I can ask him if he has more, if you like.

Joe Peklicz is selling a new kit for 2010 called "Spool Spinner" for $4.00 that is, surprise, a spool rocket that spins on the way down. Joe doesn't seem to have an online calendar yet, so you need to snail-mail him at:
Joseph Peklicz
635 S Zane Hwy.
Martins Ferry, OH 43935
for a catalog.

Francis Graham published a series of articles in his local club newsletter about "Rockets Beyond Strange" and he discusses the Magnus Effect for both liftoff and recovery. He was sending out copies for a SASE with $2.00 postage and I can ask him if he has more, if you like.

Joe Peklicz is selling a new kit for 2010 called "Spool Spinner" for $4.00 that is, surprise, a spool rocket that spins on the way down. Joe doesn't seem to have an online calendar yet, so you need to snail-mail him at:
Joseph Peklicz
635 S Zane Hwy.
Martins Ferry, OH 43935
for a catalog.

Yes, I would be interested. Please ask for me.

Thanks

Wow:eyepop:

I couldn't wait and read while I supposed to be filing things for SHE WHO MUST BE OBEYED.:bangpan:

When I posted originally, I referred to using the Magnus effect for recovery. To use it for lift off never crossed my mind.

Now, I have the unhappy duty to inform my FSI Intrepid that it is once again being bumped back a place because I have a deadline before the Amateur Rocketeers of Texas meet again.

Their launches are infrequent but its the only place I have any hope of launching something like this...and that is said knowing that I am the RSO for the Alamo Rocketeers.

Thank you so much for such an intriguing lead.:D

He's got other articles in that series. You can edit that URL to pick up other issues of that club newsletter and discover other articles. They're all very interesting!

Back