Magnum PI 2.0

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
it's another case of "we can't come up with anything new, so let's redo something old." :p I wonder what car that they will use this time?

It's been running on CBS the last four seasons.
New seasons will be on NBC.
Fans sent in petitions after CBS cancelled the show.

Ah, didn't know that. I haven't watched network TV in a long time. Mostly BBC and Discovery, and FX.

Having been a minor functionary in a field related to television, TV has always been done using recombinant DNA. Shows have al been sold as "It's just like _______ but it's got________.

Star Trek was sold as Wagon Train to the Stars. The Honeymoons was blue collar I Love Lucy. The Flintstones was the Honeymooners animated in prehistoric history. I think the Jetsons was pretty obvious. Green Acres was a reverse Beverly Hillbillies. All in the Family was an Americanized version of a British show, as were Sanford & Son and Three's a Crowd. Cheers was Taxi in a bar. There was a rash of disabled detectives in the early 70s (paralyzed, blind, etc). I could go on.

Having been a minor functionary in a field related to television, TV has always been done using recombinant DNA. Shows have al been sold as "It's just like _______ but it's got________.

Star Trek was sold as Wagon Train to the Stars. The Honeymoons was blue collar I Love Lucy. The Flintstones was the Honeymooners animated in prehistoric history. I think the Jetsons was pretty obvious. Green Acres was a reverse Beverly Hillbillies. All in the Family was an Americanized version of a British show, as were Sanford & Son and Three's a Crowd. Cheers was Taxi in a bar. There was a rash of disabled detectives in the early 70s (paralyzed, blind, etc). I could go on.
wow

At least they came out with a new cool video of the helicopter
The actor Roger E. Mosley who played TC was actually a licensed Helicopter pilot and that
is Roger in the red shirt flying the helicopter in the video 👍

the new Higgins was pretty easy to watch..

watched the original a few times, didn't care for a / the remake, and likely wont' watch the new season.. (no longer a 'network' watcher either)

Always wondered with remakes.. do they also rehash the scripts too? Make a slight change here & there to make it "modern" (but the story remain essentially the same..)?!

In general, it's very hard to watch/appreciate remakes of things when the original is so burned into your brain. I watched an episode of the new Magnum and it was fine, but I couldn't get the old one (which I loved) out of my head, and gave up on the new one.

On the other hand, occasionally a remake/reboot really nails it so well it almost makes you forget the original, like Battlestar Galactica.

That's funny. I'm currently writing an original idea for a series I have, but I'm being told by the agent that during the pitch we have to sell it as "xyz meets abc" in terms that producers already know. The reason is that they want to know what the concept is in a single sentence. Which you literally cannot do if the idea is actually original and complex enough for today's audiences that demand more interesting faire. So, I am reduced to selling it as "xyz meets abc" when performing the cold call.

watched the original a few times, didn't care for a / the remake, and likely wont' watch the new season.. (no longer a 'network' watcher either)

Always wondered with remakes.. do they also rehash the scripts too? Make a slight change here & there to make it "modern" (but the story remain essentially the same..)?!
The new Higgins is VERY easy to watch. Much better than the old one.

Pretty sad to think that most TV is just like most music where people just simply have nothing new to come up with so they just redo old things.:confused:

The new Higgins is VERY easy to watch. Much better than the old one.

some women might beg to differ! :D
So, since I started this thread, I'ma hafta do a little recon and see what this Higgins character is you all are chattin up... for research, yeah, that's it, research...

That's funny. I'm currently writing an original idea for a series I have, but I'm being told by the agent that during the pitch we have to sell it as "xyz meets abc" in terms that producers already know. The reason is that they want to know what the concept is in a single sentence. Which you literally cannot do if the idea is actually original and complex enough for today's audiences that demand more interesting faire. So, I am reduced to selling it as "xyz meets abc" when performing the cold call.

Part of the problem is that in commercial TV the producers have to in turn sell it to a network staff that needs to hear it as "It's just like_____but with____." The networks then have to sell it in the upfront commercial market that takes place months before new shows come out. They tell potential advertisers that it will get X ratings "just like______," and they sell the time accordingly.

Since audience share is hard to predict, in order to set a price they think it will get they have to guess, and by using prior shows as examples there are specific numbers they can point to. If the network guesses wrong about audience size, and the advertisers got fewer eyeballs, the networks have to give the advertiser more airtime to make up for the shortfall of eyeballs compared to what the guess predicted.

To the people in the TV business, their product is not shows, it's eyeballs that see the ads. TV executives think of TV shows as what goes between the commercials. It's gotten a lot worse since channels have been breeding like rabbits ever since cable TV and streaming services have made market chaotic and cutthroat.

Part of the problem is that in commercial TV the producers have to in turn sell it to a network staff that needs to hear it as "It's just like_____but with____." The networks then have to sell it in the upfront commercial market that takes place months before new shows come out. They tell potential advertisers that it will get X ratings "just like______," and they sell the time accordingly.

Since audience share is hard to predict, in order to set a price they think it will get they have to guess, and by using prior shows as examples there are specific numbers they can point to. If the network guesses wrong about audience size, and the advertisers got fewer eyeballs, the networks have to give the advertiser more airtime to make up for the shortfall of eyeballs compared to what the guess predicted.

To the people in the TV business, their product is not shows, it's eyeballs that see the ads. TV executives think of TV shows as what goes between the commercials. It's gotten a lot worse since channels have been breeding like rabbits ever since cable TV and streaming services have made market chaotic and cutthroat.
that's depressing and also the reason why I only watch the evening news and I don't like it either.

They should have used this one:
TdHTRyy.jpg

Back