Magnetic circuit board holder for soldering station

Discussion in 'Rocketry Electronics and Software' started by Wallace, Nov 25, 2019.

Help Support The Rocketry Forum by donating:

1. Nov 25, 2019 #1

Wallace

Wallace

Wallace

Sponsor TRF Sponsor TRF Supporter

Just thought I'd share this since I've been battling all kinds of junk that just does not work well, if at all. Problem with using a non-stick pan is while it really is easy to clean up, nothing sticks to it, soooo, good luck taping a board down to work on it. I usually end up chasing the damn thing around with the soldering iron or as a last resort, clamp it in the 'ol helping hands jig. Something about putting a circuit board in an alligator clip is just not right. It's pretty brutal. Found this idea on Thingiverse, glued a pair of Harbor freight 99 cent magnets in 'em and they work really good. I did have to trim the magnets slightly and it's not perfect if you have a board that's populated all the way to the edges, but it's pretty cool. Probably be perfect for assembling Eggtimer stuff. 20191125_133622.jpg 20191125_133641.jpg Three high fives to whomever it was that designed it. If I could find it again I'd post a link and give proper credit.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2019
    Reinhard likes this.
  2. Nov 25, 2019 #2

Wallace

Wallace

Wallace

3. Nov 25, 2019 #3

KilroySmith

KilroySmith

KilroySmith

That's an excellent idea - I think I'll steal that.

4. Nov 25, 2019 #4

Wallace

Wallace

Wallace

I was trying to find the link so I could post it, but if you've ever attemped to use Thingiverse's search function...

5. Nov 25, 2019 #5

Wallace

Wallace

Wallace

"Probably" be better off rotating them 90 degrees when printing? Didn't pay enough attention and had to clean out support material at the top/holder surface so they're a bit rough..

6. Nov 25, 2019 #6

Wallace

Wallace

Wallace

I'm gonna make a scaled down set too. They're a bit tall for the smaller stuff to get a decent hand rest for my shaky old hands.

7. Nov 25, 2019 #7

Wallace

Wallace

Wallace

And....Btw, I've never found a better way to stick differing types of plastics/materials together than plain 'ol Rocketpoxy. I've tested pretty much all I could get my hands on and that stuff just flatout works..

8. Nov 25, 2019 #8

Reinhard

Reinhard

Reinhard

Nice holder. 3d printed jigs and magnets are a sweet combination. Now I just need to remember this lesson the next time I need it...

Reinhard

9. Nov 26, 2019 #9

Wallace

Wallace

Wallace

I agree and disagree at the same time. I'm constantly cutting, grinding or working with rusty metal and magnets are magnets for that crap. Every magnetic thing I own sooner or later makes me angry. But...They sure are nice when Ya need 'em...