Magnetic circuit board holder for soldering station

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wallace

Reaction score
Just thought I'd share this since I've been battling all kinds of junk that just does not work well, if at all. Problem with using a non-stick pan is while it really is easy to clean up, nothing sticks to it, soooo, good luck taping a board down to work on it. I usually end up chasing the damn thing around with the soldering iron or as a last resort, clamp it in the 'ol helping hands jig. Something about putting a circuit board in an alligator clip is just not right. It's pretty brutal. Found this idea on Thingiverse, glued a pair of Harbor freight 99 cent magnets in 'em and they work really good. I did have to trim the magnets slightly and it's not perfect if you have a board that's populated all the way to the edges, but it's pretty cool. Probably be perfect for assembling Eggtimer stuff.20191125_133622.jpg 20191125_133641.jpgThree high fives to whomever it was that designed it. If I could find it again I'd post a link and give proper credit.

Last edited:
I was trying to find the link so I could post it, but if you've ever attemped to use Thingiverse's search function...

"Probably" be better off rotating them 90 degrees when printing? Didn't pay enough attention and had to clean out support material at the top/holder surface so they're a bit rough..

I'm gonna make a scaled down set too. They're a bit tall for the smaller stuff to get a decent hand rest for my shaky old hands.

And....Btw, I've never found a better way to stick differing types of plastics/materials together than plain 'ol Rocketpoxy. I've tested pretty much all I could get my hands on and that stuff just flatout works..

Nice holder. 3d printed jigs and magnets are a sweet combination. Now I just need to remember this lesson the next time I need it...

Reinhard

I agree and disagree at the same time. I'm constantly cutting, grinding or working with rusty metal and magnets are magnets for that crap. Every magnetic thing I own sooner or later makes me angry. But...They sure are nice when Ya need 'em...

Latest posts

Back