• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Rocketry Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Sold Magnetic Apogee Detector kits

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prfesser

LIFETIME SUPPORTER
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Edit: both MADs have been spoken for. If either/both falls through I'll go down the list, first come first served.
Terry
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1608212100088.png

While cleaning up the workshop I discovered a package that had long been forgotten; two MAD kits with instructions. The MAD is the brainchild of Robert Galejs and does the sort of thing that the old hanging-pendulum switch was supposed to do (and didn't). As the rocket tips over the sensor detects the change in direction of the Earth's magnetic field. The MAD does not use barometric data, so there is no need for holes to be drilled in the e-bay. It does not give altitude, it does only one thing: fires a charge at apogee. Oh, and with a little work it can be fitted inside a BT-5.

The kit comes with a 9V snap for the battery, but I've used a pack of four AA batteries with good results.

Each kit is $25 postpaid in the US.

Last edited:
Those were neat little devices! I'm pretty sure I still have mine - it's what I always used for deployed on my RATTWorks hybrid flights.

For you people who missed out on these magnetic apogee detectors, go online and search Zeptomag. The guy is in Norway, but his units are absolutely fantastic. They allow you to adjust the angle for the pyro event to your liking, have a second pyro channel, and they also have a 1g arming so you don’t accidentally set off the device at the launch rod. They do cost more, around $65 if I remember correctly, but I love them so much that I own around ten of them. I have most of them permanently installed in the nosecones of rockets, while others are switchable between rockets, in PML intellicones.

Back