Madcow - Tembo Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mpitfield

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Welcome to the Madcow Tembo Gallery on TRF.

This gallery showcases the Madcow Tembo and those rockets derived from it. Particularly appropriate in this thread are the following:

Madcow: Tembo (4"): K-3123

as well as any upscales, downscales, clones, kitbashes or other derivative works. Even Goonies qualify!

Madcow (4") Tembo (K-3123) Basic Information.

madcowrocketry.gif
Madcow Rocketry

MODEL NAME: 4" Tembo Also known as:

NUMBER: K-3123

Introduced:
Final Year:
Designer:

Type: Sport
Motor Mount: 1x38mm
Recovery: Parachute
Stages: 1
Length: 35.5"
Diameter: 4"
Span:
Weight: 30 oz

Mfg. Description: Features:
High Power Rocket
Heavy Duty Plastic Nose Cone
1/4" Plywood Laser Cut Fins and Rings
Delrin Rail Buttons
Pre-slotted Airframe
9/16" Tubular Nylon Shock Cord (Madcow 2018 Web Ad)

Advertising Liveries

TemboPic.jpg 2018 Web Ad

Face Card(s)

Instruction Header(s)

tembo.jpg

First post in this thread featuring this rocket.

See Also:
TRF Build Threads
https://www.rocketryforum.com/showt...ck-Secret-Santa-and-Me-Tembo-long-time-coming

TRF Applicable Threads

LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
Built mine a year ago. Has a silver base coat at this point. Absolutely horrible nosecone to airframe fit. NC is out off round more than any plastic NC I have used. Added NC bay kit from MAC Performance. Fin bevels block sanded by hand. Never do that again on 1/4 fins. Stickershock provided chrome wave checkers for the fins. Have a hot dark blue metallic mixed for it. Might have the initiative to paint it this week...... Im sure it will be a fun flier with JL chute release

IMG_6069.jpgIMG_6070.jpg

My Tembo.

Built as dual deploy, originally using CO2 to separate the nosecone/AV bay from the body, with the main held to the nosecone using an ARRD. Converted to a traditional BP charge-well used to separate the nosecone from the body with the main held in a burrito wrap using a JLCR. This is all paint, no decals, but after 4 years the acrylic enamel is cracked pretty badly. At this stage it needs to be stripped down and repainted.

I hinted around for Mike to get this gallery up, then I never added my pictures. Thanks Mike.

I agree, worse nose cone fit I ever experienced. But I had a kit from another manufacturer with the same nose cone. It fit horribly in the Tembo as well, both fit the other kit better. Maybe it was just a bad run of tubes. Either way..can't wait to fly it.

Tembo 3.jpg Tembo 2.jpg Tembo 1.jpg

Took forever for me to settle on a design. Finally came up with this.
Full wrap courtesy of StickerShock23. First time using a wrap. A little tedious but pretty painless.
Flat black fins and nose cone.
Fins beveled on my table saw. Worked up a jig that worked nicely.
Pancake bay in nose cone shoulder with extension into the nosecone for an Eggfinder.
8 oz of lead in nose cone.
54mm motor tube designed to fly on the 54mm soda cans.

nose bay 2.jpg Pancake bay 3.jpg Pancake bay 2.jpg

Back