Madcow Screech - Level 1?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boyfly

Reaction score
A co-worker of mine sold me a Madcow Screech that he had laying around. I feel like it's my first "real" rocket. I actually put some time and effort into building it with my co-worker's help. I've been building Estes rockets for years and launch them during July 4th and New Years for entertainment. I thought it would be fun to get something with a little more power.

I intended to use F and G motors in this Screech. I ended up acquiring an H128 motor, not realizing what I was doing. My co-worker says it might be too much for the rocket. It's already built, all with epoxy. No glass. The instructions recommend glassing the fins if you're going to take it over M0.85.

So my question is whether or not I should launch an epoxied Madcow Screech on an H128. I've never launched anything more than a Big Daddy with a D motor. I'm tempted to go for it, even if it's just for the thrill. Only problem is my wife is already complaining about how much I've spent on this one and I haven't even got it in the air yet. When she saw the price of the motor case she said "you better not lose this one!"

I'm planning to go to a KloudBuster launch in Kansas this weekend. Any input before then is appreciated!

So my question is whether or not I should launch an epoxied Madcow Screech on an H128.
A quick sim on thrustcurve.org says 4500 feet and just about Mach 1 on an H128. Given the size of the Screech it might be hard to track that (I saw one fly on a G64 last weekend and that alone was a pretty high flight -- sims to 3700 feet -- though it was recovered OK).

Given that the fins are just surface-mount, I would throw some glass on. On the other hand it'd be a heck of a flight, and the worst that can happen is that you'll have to try L1 again (and you might be out the cost of the case.)

Make sure you put your name on the rocket and use good motor retention.

mikec is right. If that is a Screech at 8 oz and not the Screech LX at 15 oz you will be over Mach and a mile high with almost any cert flight.

I don't think I would recommed the glass on the fins. With the small profile on the fins, I would just make sure I had good fillets. The chance of not seeing the rocket again are probably much higher then the fins coming off. Besides if the fins do come off, you'll probably get the case back, and that is probably twice the cost of the rocket kit.

I would recommend you enlist the help of someone with a Walston tracker. Once you have one of those, use a H123 or larger in a 38mm case and get the L1 with a mile high, Mach plus flight.

Good Luck, Aim high and don't miss!

I intended to use F and G motors in this Screech. I ended up acquiring an H128 motor, not realizing what I was doing. My co-worker says it might be too much for the rocket. It's already built, all with epoxy. No glass. The instructions recommend glassing the fins if you're going to take it over M0.85.

I don't want to feel responsible for the destruction of your rocket. I flew a Lil Nuke on an H128 for my Level 1, but it seems to be a little heavier than your Screech. Today would not have been the day; you would have been deep into the clouds. The wind wasn't bad, but the overcast was probably 3,000' or less. There were a few successful Level 1 cert flights, but not on anything like a Screech.

Just be ready for December and hit it hard with that H128.

going against everything that the others have said, i would not fly on an H123, keep it on F and G, and enjoy those flights, and you will see your rocket and casing again. Then pick a bigger, wider, heavier rocket for your level one, and you'll see that again with your casing.
imagine how gutted you will be if your best rocket to date rips skyward and you never see it again, then imagine trying to convince your wife that you want to spend more money on a new motor casing, rocket and H reload.
then again, it would really soar on an H.

Thanks for the input. I was watching the weather on Saturday and it didn't look like the ceiling ever went above 2,000 feet, so I stayed home. I think I'll probably go ahead with the H128 in the Screech, though. Maybe at next month's Kloudbuster launch.

Latest posts

Back