The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JDcluster

Reaction score
What's everyone's take on this kit?

It was an early BF special as most of you know.
I picked one up but, I'm a little confused as to why the booster is so short?
It's a mere 25". I should have looked closer at the details.. it is what it is.

The first motor that comes to my mind on this setup is; an 54 mm x 2550 core motor.
With the stubby booster, it poses problems.

JD

What's everyone's take on this kit?

It was an early BF special as most of you know.
I picked one up but, I'm a little confused as to why the booster is so short?
It's a mere 25". I should have looked closer at the details.. it is what it is.

The first motor that comes to my mind on this setup is; an 54 mm x 2550 core motor.
With the stubby booster, it poses problems.

JD

JD
It looks like they just cut a 48" tube in half. Why anyone needs a 24" main chute tube that is 5.5" dia. They could have cut differant and had a longer booster tube.

Yup, booster is too short.

I immediately ordered another coupler and a 10" body tube extension. I had to order the full 30" and have it cut. If you'd be interested in the other 20"...

I'm thinking 54/2800 K1050W

I got the kit and plan on recessing the bottom bulkplate inside the coupler so it lines up with the bottom of the switch band. This will allow for a 54/2560 motor. If you want something longer, you may need to add an extension or go with HED.

I'm weighing my options right now...
I might even go with DD from the same tube; using either a cable cutter or an ARRD.

JD

I got the kit and plan on recessing the bottom bulkplate inside the coupler so it lines up with the bottom of the switch band. This will allow for a 54/2560 motor. If you want something longer, you may need to add an extension or go with HED.

The booster is actually 24" + 1" Switch band + 25" Payload tube.
A full tube is 60" so, 48" full tube idea goes out with the recycling...

JD

JD
It looks like they just cut a 48" tube in half. Why anyone needs a 24" main chute tube that is 5.5" dia. They could have cut differant and had a longer booster tube.

I am fine with overall form factor of the kit. My target altitude is between 3K to 4K. This will be my first attempt at air starting a cluster, which I would like to happen at an altitude that I can see clearly. I will prolly use a J800T for the center motor.

I couldn't leave it the way it was..... and just ordered an new 36" booster for it.
I might use the current tube for another cluster idea once the parts become available.
Now where did a leave my alignment guides????

JD

I couldn't leave it the way it was..... and just ordered an new 36" booster for it.
I might use the current tube for another cluster idea once the parts become available.
Now where did a leave my alignment guides????

JD

Did you have the new tube slotted for the fins?

I just received my kit yesterday. I included with the order additional parts to make a modular motor mount system, so I could fly it as a cluster/54mm, 75mm, or 98mm. Not too worried about the short booster tube. I can put the AV bay in the nose cone shoulder like my 5" Jart, and use quite long motors.

Flush mount fins with composite reinforcement will be required. Winter vacuum bagging, what fun.

You may want to wrap a wire around motor and hook,to keep case from "kick out" during ejection charge firing.
I lost 2 before I started wiring them on.

It almost looks like the retainer cap for the 54 mm center motor could retain the three outboard 29 mm motors. It is hard to tell from looking at the photo, but I have this kit also and may take a look at retaining the motors in that way.

Y
It almost looks like the retainer cap for the 54 mm center motor could retain the three outboard 29 mm motors. It is hard to tell from looking at the photo, but I have this kit also and may take a look at retaining the motors in that way.

Yes, that would work.. extend the three 29 motor tubes up a little and make sure the 54 mm retainer is flush. I believe the lip of 29/180, etc would over lap enough to hold.

Wrapping up the fin can section of my Trinity. Fins are attached and all internal fillets are done. I came up with a minimalist retaining system. Will post pics when I have glued on the lower centering ring.

I working on mine.... Fins / motor tubes are glued together. All I have left is to glue the fin unit into the booster tube. What was your liftoff weight and altitude, for those who have flown this kit?

I am hoping to fly mine this weekend. J800T, with 2x H250G and 1x H97J.

71032683_2499789763393332_1774854918213992448_o.jpg

I am hoping to fly mine this weekend. J800T, with 2x H250G and 1x H97J.

View attachment 394203

Rocket looks nice, Dwayne!

That's an odd combo. I get the J800T, but the 2x H250 and a H97 in a 120 degree spaced outboard config makes for uneven and offset thrust...plus the Mojave Green and Black Jack are destined to light at different times. Are you sure you don't want three of the same outboard 29's????

Back