Madcow/RW Fin Stack Adhesive Removal

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

o1d_dude

'I battle gravity'
Reaction score
Bought my first RW/Madcow kit (Formula 54) and am having trouble removing the adhesive from the stacked fins. Whatever it is, it resists 91% alcohol and I even tried old school Ronson lighter fluid...learned that from a framing shop where it was used to remove stickers from glass.

Getting desperate...don't make me try peanut butter!

What techniques/solvents have you successfully used?

Bought my first RW/Madcow kit (Formula 54) and am having trouble removing the adhesive from the stacked fins. Whatever it is, it resists 91% alcohol and I even tried old school Ronson lighter fluid...learned that from a framing shop where it was used to remove stickers from glass.

Getting desperate...don't make me try peanut butter!

What techniques/solvents have you successfully used?

I use the 91% alcohol and a old face cloth. You need to scrub hard but it does come off well.

I just went through this with my Madcow Frenzy XL. That sticky stuff was stubborn. I used Acetone, but it still required a ton of elbow grease to remove. IPA didn't seem to help much, and Acetone wasn't much better. Elbow grease and paper towels/rags were required. Once I was confident that I'd gotten it all off, I carefully sanded the glossy G10 surfaces with 180 grit, wiping with IPA between sanding.
When I was finished, I came away with the thought that there has got to be a better way to remove that stuff.

Goo gone, goof off, and when all else fails, acetone.

+1.
That's what I used to clean up my MC/RW Formula 38 fins.
Spray goo-gone, let it sit a bit, elbow grease it off with a cotton cloth. Cotton cloth was way more effective than paper towels, similar to how you deal with road grime on car's paint. Repeat 2-3 times, and all will be well.

MC guys mentioned that the old RW stock is infested with sticky tape residue, but that the new fins will be clean(-er?).

a

Should have just wrapped them in brown paper and forget the tape or what ever left all the glue on the fins. It kind of looks like it's been on there for a while too.

The Goo Gone did the trick.

Couple of odservations:
1. Apply enough to cover the adhesive residue
2. Allow the Goo Gone to soak into the residue
3. Wipe with a textured rag or paper towel
4. Repeat if needed

Shiny!

WD-40 works to remove masking tape goo. dunno what this might be, but that's my suggestion.

IPA? I usually have an IPA, but it' enjoyed in a glass, and I dare waste it on removing glue goo! this year, it's been an IPA brewed with grapefruit. :D

dx3_0514.JPG

Back