Madcow Prion Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DinoAP

Reaction score
This will follow through my build of my Madcow Prion kit. Feedback is always appreciated. My fifth rocket but my first build thread.
Prion.jpg

The main fins after running the leading edges and trailing edges through the router.
IMG_0464.jpg
also the canard fin leading edges...
IMG_0461.jpg

Engine mount assembly all epoxied up and the Aeropack retainer JB welded on.
IMG_0462.jpg
IMG_0466.jpg

My first tailcone retainer, comes with the kit. What a beautiful piece of aluminum!

IMG_0465.jpg

IMG_0470.jpgIMG_0472.jpgIMG_0473.jpg

Time for the Macklin fin jig to do it's thing. The jig holds the fin and canards in perfect alignment together.

Well hindsight ya know is 20/20...... jig holds the canards perfectly, you just can't remove the tube from he jig. Hahah luckily I noticed before he glue set on the first fin.

I love the Prion - It was my L2. I have more flights on it than any other rocket, mostly on AT Redlines. Here is it going up on a K695R.
Prion_K695R_cropped.jpg

I liked the design so much I built this:
SuperPrion.jpg

137.5% Upscale, my L3.

Looking forward to the rest of the build.

Last edited:
Thanks - are you going with the stock color scheme? I got my graphics for both from Stickershock.

Thanks - are you going with the stock color scheme? I got my graphics for both from Stickershock.

Not sure on the paint yet, probably some variation of the stock scheme. I want to try some roll patterns anyway.

IMG_0474.jpgIMG_0475.jpg

All 8 fins epoxied in place along with epoxy clay fillets. Time for CWF to smooth everything out.

I really like the look of those beveled edges. Should have done that on mine.
David

What degree bit are you using?

if It's 1/4 fin stock I am using a 60 degree bit (30 degrees per side) And I feed the fins vertically through the bit against the fence. Using a few test pieces of the same thickness to adjust the bit height to cut just to the centerline or just behind it.

Has anyone seen my digital camera? Yep batteries died, sat it down, new batteries in hand.....can't find the camera.

so picture it....it's late summer 2017 and all the fins have been filleted and sanded smooth. Whole rocket primered and basic stock color scheme taking shape. Pictures to come when I find my camera.....I should check in the refrigerator maybe.

IMG_0477.jpg
White base coat over the whole rocket.

IMG_0480.jpg

Red payload and nose sections.

IMG_0479.jpg

Switch band with static ports drilled. ( 3 each 1/8th")

IMG_0478.jpg

Painting just about finished except for the fins.

IMG_0481.jpg

IMG_0476.jpg

Ejection charge wells fresh off the lathe. Now to get busy on the av bay....

Good to know the camera was in the fridge...that's the secret to crisp photos...

You could avoid this issue in the future and just leave your beer on the work bench but then it wouldn't be cold. Life is hard.

Did you get your L1 card yet? Looks like your not going to have that very long!
Great techniques Chris, looking great

Back