Madcow Molded Nike Fins

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NOLA_BAR

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I have a 4" fiberglass (Composite Warehouse) Nike Smoke with the regular 1/8" G12 fiberglass fins. I was considering the Madcow molded version (though not in stock at the moment) as a replacement to get a more scale look. I would have to modify the fin slots to get them to fit. The root edge of the molded version is less than the regular version.

I was wondering how well these things hold in place and hold up under use? The G12 fins that came with the kit look indestructible.

api3grug5__35295.1628885923.1280.1280.jpg

They will hold up to flights but not a fall from 50 feet.
LOL, I guess that is from experience! My other thought would be to "skin" the fins that came with the kit using 3/16" plywood and sand the profile. Or... just go with the included fins as-is, "build it to bounce" as someone said.

LOL, I guess that is from experience! My other thought would be to "skin" the fins that came with the kit using 3/16" plywood and sand the profile. Or... just go with the included fins as-is, "build it to bounce" as someone said.
I have a rocket I used 1/4" ply for fins and added 1/4" balsa to each face and shaped that. It held up really well. The biggest issue with the fins is the ply dents and splinters on the tapered edges. Never really had any issues with the balsa part.
I would expect it would work similar with the G12 fins if you put a balsa build up on it. Much easier to shape than ply.

I had one of those older composite warehouse Nikes with the molded fins. It held up pretty well. It is a traditional fiberglass mold layup with a gel coat finish, so if it lands on a road it is possible to get small gelcoat chips on the corners. The cosmetic stuff didn’t bother me, but certainly fixable with some epoxy filler and new paint. Rocket flew about a dozen times and was structurally perfect

Back