Madcow, Head End Dual Deploy, what is it?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This configuration allows for dual deployment with a single piece body tube. It is an extended nose cone coupler that acts as the electronics bay. A switchband is mounted to the coupler between the body tube and the nose cone. The main chute is packed into the nose cone, then the electronics bay is installed and held in place by shear pins.

There are several good threads on the topic. Try searching "head end dual deploy" and pay particular attention to any result from CJ.

Cheers,
Michael

This was the "first" ever HED kit, designed by me for Wildman, using Nose cone dual deploy or HED [head end deployment].

I just called it nose cone DD the fancy name came later by Wildman. The first kit was called the "Punisher" in Nov. of 2014 for Black Sat. Hundreds have been sold & it's still available. There are many copy cats, the original is still the best. Many of Wildman's kits now use this feature.

No need for a payload & coupler electronics bay, remove that & several lbs. Move the main chute into the nose cone....electronics into NC shoulder/coupler.

Now fly smaller /cheaper motors to higher altitudes than in normal dual deploy rockets with payload section.

Here are links to original build of 1st one. It's very long and full of info. If you just want to know details of how it works Go here 1st post
https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?120615-CJ-s-quot-PUNISHER-quot-build!

Read first page, then skip to pg 6 here for how its's built.

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showt...ot-PUNISHER-quot-build!&p=1395419#post1395419

This build is one of the highest view rates at over 76,000 and still used as the definitive reference, to build Head End Deploy.

Or you could just buy the kit......lol Perfect for L-1 & L-2, goes over 16,0000 on big 6xl 54's and will fly on small 38's.

Cj

Last edited:
This was the "first" ever HED kit, designed by me for Wildman, using Nose cone dual deploy or HED [head end deployment].

first? Forget these guys? got it in march 2014, built by june ;) (And I'm not certain even this was the first to put a chute in a nosecone. I know guys who've done it for many moons.) and there's this- https://hawkmountain.ws/secure/kits.asp?productid=31588357379001 And Gary's Stinger in June of 2014.... https://www.flickr.com/photos/31757945@N05/14545094294/in/album-72157645494459693/
14499020134_01d0041be6_b.jpg

The debate is mostly moot anyways.... Jolly Logic's chute release seems to be taking over the market for single tube DD

Last edited:
Never said it was the first, as someone has always done it before, if you look hard enough.

Said it was the first to be KITTED [and made MAINSTREAM DD [dual deploy]], with a standard coupler/bulkplate av-bay coming with the kit. The nosecone shoulder.
Full explanation is in the referenced links.

The Jumanji came as Single deploy out of cone.

The Standard DD Jumanji had a payload ...coupler av-bay,as an upgrade, for an additional 170.00. + the 360 for kit. I've drag raced them.
Right at bottom of page you reference.

Screen Shot 2016-11-02 at 2.14.52 AM.jpg

I know of no other kits coming "standard" complete with Nose cone DUAL deploy before the Punisher.

Could be though.....I'm only right 87% of the time LOL

Gary's rocket, if memory serves had a stuffer tube with cap, apparatus glued in the cone to do DD. Not a standard coupler bulk plate av-bay. His was a 1 off design. I know a few others myself, who modified kits, but don't know of any kit itself, designed from the get -go. He did it way back in 2011 in his Gizmo also, but they were never sold this way. I'm pretty sure he used same method on the "Stinger"

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showt...FROM-PERFORMANCE-ROCKETRY&p=245174#post245174

Said it was the first to be KITTED [and made MAINSTREAM DD [dual deploy]], with a standard coupler/bulkplate av-bay coming with the kit. The nosecone shoulder.
Full explanation is in the referenced links.

I know of no other kits coming "standard" complete with Nose cone DUAL deploy before the Punisher.

Could be though.....I'm only right 87% of the time LOL

;) I'm not trying to be a dick....The beer might be though. The Widman I got was a one-off-ish short run, But there may have been some after.... So it was a kit prior to the punisher in that setup... I think it was the first with the cnc CR's and fins. I remember talking to Tim about them at URRF or LDRS or whatever it was that year. Had Al bulk plates too.

Dave...you're a nice guy.......I'm a nice guy.

Let's just agree to dis-agree.....LOL

I'll give ya this & you are correct... a couple year's or so before all this, on Black Sat sale, Tim had a 4 in Jart special. The only time he made 4 in Jarts. Called it the "Jimbo Jart".
It was a limited run, never to be seen again, THIS is the actual first run of HED dual deploy that I came up with then, for the Jimbo Jart.

It never saw daylight again till I used it in the "Punisher" which was meant as a new addition to the Widman Line & the first kit designed with" head end in mind". The J Jart was just a shorty rocket using the DarkStars upper fin set and the HED came later. [an after thought]
Several guys ["you" among them] ordered the NC parts to modify your existing rockets, sound familiar now?
But the idea didn't surface permanently till later[Punisher]

By the way this was AFTER the doughnut av-bay, I came up with for the Gizmo XL & 6 in V-2 among others.

As a matter of fact this is it here: https://www.rocketryforum.com/showt...MBO-quot-Jart-4-in-DD-in-NC-or-any-Jart-build!

And isn't this you before a name change ? https://www.rocketryforum.com/showt...-in-NC-or-any-Jart-build!&p=715910#post715910

So anyhow....now that "we" know "the rest of the story" next time I see ya we can have a beer and laugh about it.
2 ole farts who's memory get soggy from alcohol fumes.LOL

That's what you are trying to remember... I think. Somewhere ...back then, you posted the same pic of your Wildman fincan with the new HED nose cone.

So I hope we haven't scared off this new guy asking a simple question , with all our trivial..playful..banter.

Hey new guy.....don't be afraid to ask more questions!!!

Last edited:
I'm not that clever ;). I just hit order and got all that stuff. Looked for the post but can't find it, was a $99 sale here Tim ran

Chute in the NC, hoda thunk it? I am plagued by linear thinking, chute goes in BT. End of story. Next you'll be tellin' me you can run it aft :wink:. I love this stuff! Reminds me of how badly I lack imagination.

Much thanks!

I have really taken a liking to my Wildman Punisher with HED. So much so my next build is going to be a 2.6" MadCow thin-wall FG rocket with HED. I planned on a MissleWorks GPS Tracker on one side of the sled and RRC3 altimeter on the other side.

There are many copy cats, the original is still the best.
Cj

So...those using Curtis cones are the best? I kid, I kid.

One of the first instances I saw of this design was Todd Harrison's Reptar at BALLS 22 in 2013. The kits followed soon after.

I'll give ya this & you are correct... a couple year's or so before all this, on Black Sat sale, Tim had a 4 in Jart special. The only time he made 4 in Jarts. Called it the "Jimbo Jart".
It was a limited run, never to be seen again, THIS is the actual first run of HED dual deploy that I came up with then, for the Jimbo Jart.

Saw your first comment about the Punisher and thought "wait, I have a Jimbo Jart with head-end that Wildman sold before the Punisher" then you redeemed yourself with this follow-up. Great little rocket too. We drag raced them that summer at URRF - Potter Farm.

-brant

Back