Madcow Formula 98 or Composite Warehouse Concept 98??

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave S.

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I am level 1 and was looking ahead to maybe making a fiberglass kit and doing dual deploy. So I was looking at the Madcow "Formula 98" and the Composite Warehouse "Concept 98"??

https://www.madcowrocketry.com/4-fiberglass-formula-98/

http://www.compositewarehouse.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=91

My understanding is that these two are essentially the same rocket but slightly different due to the history of the kits and the two companies. I am aware there are shipping issues with CW.

The two versions have different lengths on the booster and payload tubes (33 and 16 inches for Madcow, 34 and 17 inches for CW). For the CW you can choose colors on the tubing, for Madcow there is no choice. I did notice that Madcow says it includes a 1" switch band and the CW web page doesn't state it has one. Can you do dual deploy without one, or does it have one but its just not listed on the web page?

Other than that they look about the same.

I was wondering if anyone familiar with them had any preference or recommendations?

DS

For all intents and purposes, they're they same rocket.

The MadCow kit used to be a Rocketry Warehouse offering, but it's now produced in Wildman red tubing and nose cones.

Yes, you can do dual deploy without a switchband, no issues there at all, but the CW kit probably does come with one. Most here would recommend that you CALL CW about availability long before placing an order.

CW colored fiberglass is nice, but the Wildman fiberglass is just as nice......and will ship almost immediately!!!

Something else to think about, those are 4" 5+ feet tall 54mm motor mount rockets.....that once built will probably be in the weight range that would favor L2 motors. The 2.6" madcow kits will let you do all the same things as the larger rocket with a steady diet of L1 motors.

Last edited:
I have built many rockets that are DD with no switch band. I like to use the pull pin switches and put the hole for the pin right in the joint for the booster and payload sections.

Being L1, and wanting to get into DD, do your really want to get a heavy fiberglass kit that really needs L2 motors to fly well?
The Binder Design Bat or Excel in 3" can fly great on L1 motors and are designed for DD, if that is what you are really looking to learn. If you want to learn to build fiberglass and are looking for L2, then go with Formula 98 or Composite Warehouse Concept 98.

Decisions, Decisions Decisions....

Have fun!

BTW, my L1 cert rocket was a 2.6 lbs 2.25" DD rocket that flew great on H and especially I motors, to 1500 to 5000 ft. The Madcow 2.2" DD DX3 is what I have now and it's almost a duplicate of my L1 cert rocket and now one of my favorites. I really learned DD flying with that original cert rocket and the H to I motor altitude range also really taught me to "fly the field".

Just received an email from Madcow with a 30% off sale notification, Dave. There are two 4” kits on sale but not sure if they’re the ones you want.

Go with the Madcow kit, you will actually receive it without having to deal with the frustrations of buying from CW (there is both good and bad history, buyer be warned).
CW ......I have 11 of their rockets. All top quality. All the biggest pain in the behind to actually receive it.
Last one I got was missing a big decal. He said the decal machine was inop and it needed a part, then had the part, waiting on time. One month later still no decal.
Tired of waiting I got ahold of Stickershock, 3 days later I had my perfect t decal for very inexpensive price.
3 months later, no decal from CW. I am done with this guy. There kits are great if you can get them but the customer service sux big time. Go anywhere but there.

Last edited:
Just an update, months gone be still no decal on a model fully paid for full retail.
This guy should be OS. I have never delt with such a dishonest person. Totally disrespectful to his customers. I've heard the horror stories of people waiting a year after paying. I feel a large group of people should get together to boycott his business at a minimum.
What do yall think? Anyone else have more information?
Thank you

Just an update, months gone be still no decal on a model fully paid for full retail.
This guy should be OS. I have never delt with such a dishonest person. Totally disrespectful to his customers. I've heard the horror stories of people waiting a year after paying. I feel a large group of people should get together to boycott his business at a minimum.
Thank you
A lot of us do refuse to do business with him. There are many threads about him and his business practices. People continue to order. I now click ignore on every new thread complaining about it.

A lot of us do refuse to do business with him. There are many threads about him and his business practices. People continue to order. I now click ignore on every new thread complaining about it.
I have 10 of his kits. So I am very familiar with his antics. I previously have received everything I ordered. The quality is top notch and the colored airframes and reasonable prices kept me coming back. I actually purchased 8 of them when on sale. However waiting months for an "in stock" item is hard to deal with.

Thank you

It's happening to me right now. I have most definitely boycotted Composite Warehouse. Beware of this scam business.

I am level 1 and was looking ahead to maybe making a fiberglass kit and doing dual deploy. So I was looking at the Madcow "Formula 98" and the Composite Warehouse "Concept 98"??

https://www.madcowrocketry.com/4-fiberglass-formula-98/

http://www.compositewarehouse.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=91

My understanding is that these two are essentially the same rocket but slightly different due to the history of the kits and the two companies. I am aware there are shipping issues with CW.

The two versions have different lengths on the booster and payload tubes (33 and 16 inches for Madcow, 34 and 17 inches for CW). For the CW you can choose colors on the tubing, for Madcow there is no choice. I did notice that Madcow says it includes a 1" switch band and the CW web page doesn't state it has one. Can you do dual deploy without one, or does it have one but its just not listed on the web page?

Other than that they look about the same.

I was wondering if anyone familiar with them had any preference or recommendations?

DS
Save yourself a headache and go with the Madcow kit. Seriously the customer service is paramount and CW you may never see the kit. I would not do the CW unless you order it from Ken at Performance Hobbies and it’s IN STOCK.
Really just order from Madcow.

Latest posts

Back