• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Rocketry Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Found Madcow Cricket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arsenal78

Reaction score
Looking for a Madcow Cricket kit, seems like they decided to discontinue it at some point.

It's a fun rocket, flies well on a variety of H motors combined with a JLCR. It's a tight squeeze for a parachute, but if cut off the bottom of the nose cone and epoxy a eyebolt at the tip of the nose you'll have plenty of space.

You can pretty easily piece one together if you can't find one to buy. Here's the nose cone :

https://www.madcowrocketry.com/plastic-4-short-ogive/
38mm MMT, fins are 1/4". They have a rocksim file on their site that you can pull the fin templates from.

cheers - mark

New York Rocket Launch 002 (Large).JPG

I figured I may end up having to scratch one but finding ply that large that isn't warped is tricky. I have a scroll saw that could cut through it.

and that is why I've stayed away.. long, thin, and unsupported = prone to warping

Now, if it were G-10 with balsa "skins" to thicken up the fins.. that might work!
Wonder if fiberglassing the fins would help stiffen them up and make them less prone to warp? Even a low weight cloth would probably work.

I figured I may end up having to scratch one but finding ply that large that isn't warped is tricky. I have a scroll saw that could cut through it.

Never mind warping, does anyone else feel a bit squeamish about the projected lifespan of those thin and long fins?
:eek:

Wonder if fiberglassing the fins would help stiffen them up and make them less prone to warp? Even a low weight cloth would probably work.

Definitely would help, but would also add weight at exactly the worst possible place.
Perhaps fiber-glass fins might be a better bet?
This just might be a perfect use-case for a CF fin?
Leave them exposed and clear-coated, and they will look great too !

I've been flying mine for 5 years with no warping, chipping or breaking, completely stock.

I wonder if they would be willing to make a one-off kit. I’ll email them later today and see.

For the record, I've flown a stock one on a Loki H144 with no problem at all. The only issue with the kit is there is not a lot of room for the recovery gear. If you get one, figure out how to recess the NC bulkhead to gain some very valuable room.

Contacted Madcow about getting a kit and even though it’s discontinued, they will not even do a single kit. I may ask LOC. Big thumbs down to Madcow.

I wouldn't give them too much grief, not many kit manufacturers will do a one-off unless it's a really high-value item. It's just not cost-effective.
Madcow must not make their own kits. Guess that makes sense considering most of their stuff is never in stock.

??

Regardless of whether they make their own kits, it's completely reasonable (and predictable) that they're not up for making a one-off custom job.

Consider Balsa fins with one coat of 6oz CF on each side.
That would make for very stiff and strong fins with a min of weight.

Website says out of stock, not discontinued.
Since you really want one, Cricket wouldn't be that difficult to clone. Especially since they give you the assembly manual and sim file.

Back