Madcow AGM-33 Pike

Discussion in 'High Power Rocketry (HPR)' started by Tobor, Jul 17, 2019.

Help Support The Rocketry Forum by donating:

1. Aug 9, 2019 #31

Tobor

Tobor

Tobor

Get your peanuts....

Another update:

Today I glassed the sustainer, sorry no pics. Had the same issues I did during my first attempt. Result will undoubtedly be the same. Sigh.....

I also made some progress on the MAC nosecone bay. The step on the aft CR was too large for the I.D. of nosecone's shoulder. I used my Dremel to reduce the steps dia.

NC_Bay - Aft Ring Resizing-Small.jpg
    NC_Bay - Aft Ring Fitting-Small.jpg

2. Aug 14, 2019 at 12:33 AM #32

Tobor

Tobor

Tobor

Get your peanuts....

Yesterday I had time to complete the NC bay, including coating bay tube, bulkplate and rings with epoxy to waterproof them.
    NC Bay Complete - Small.jpg
    NC Bay Complete - Closeup-Small.jpg

Edit: Used BSI 30 minute for waterproofing thinned 30% with denatured alcohol and Rocketpoxy for assembly.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019 at 1:26 AM
  3. Aug 17, 2019 at 2:36 PM #33

Tobor

Tobor

Tobor

Get your peanuts....

Last night I found the misplaced pics of the work done on the lower airframe. Turns out I had transferred them to my gaming rig. Anyhoot, here is what I did.

Before glassing the lower airframe, I needed a way to seal the fin slots from the epoxy but allow easy removal of the seals after the epoxy cured. My solution was yellow FrogTape. This painters tape is great stuff. It can be applied to a heavy cardboard airframe for many days and then removed without damaging the cardboard. Did that during the build of my LOC Goblin.

I cut strips of the yellow tape wide enough for 1/16" overlap of the slots. After each strip was laid down, I rubbed the overlaps along their lengths to ensure good adhesion. After the glassing was fully cured, I waited two days, I used my Dremel tool with a EZ Lock 1.5" Diamond Wheel to free the tape from the epoxy. I was careful not to cut into the cardboard.

After completing the cut around the full perimeter of a tape strip, I used an e-xacto knife to pry up a corner of the cut laminate and slowly peeled it away.

Before
    Lower Airframe Glassed Fin Slot-Small.jpg

After
    Lower Airframe Fin Slot Uncovered-Small.jpg

Edit: To ensure the airframe did not distort around the fin slots during glassing, I used tube couplers placed directly beneath each set of slots.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2019 at 2:44 PM
  4. Aug 17, 2019 at 2:55 PM #34

mbeels

mbeels

mbeels

Putting the tree in rocketry

Did you have any issues with the epoxy clogging the diamond wheel?

That looks like a really solid build, and waterproof. Are you anticipating water landings?

5. Aug 17, 2019 at 3:09 PM #35

Tobor

Tobor

Tobor

Get your peanuts....

No I didn't. Note that I set the dremel's speed to the low end, around 7,000 rpm.

Yeppers, that is affirmative. I fly mostly at Bong State Recreation Area, home to TWA and Woosh. Bong has lots of water traps.

Here is a pic of my RIM-66 landing (L2 cert flight).
    RIM-66 Cert Flight - Wet Landing-Small.jpg

6. Aug 17, 2019 at 3:13 PM #36

mbeels

mbeels

mbeels

Putting the tree in rocketry

Oh yes, I remember following your Level 2 cert flight. I can see how fiberglass and glass cardboard is a real advantage!

7. Aug 17, 2019 at 3:19 PM #37

Rail Dawg

Rail Dawg

Rail Dawg

Always learning!!! TRF Supporter

That rocket is one of my favorites.

Looking good!

Chuck C.

8. Aug 19, 2019 at 3:05 PM #38

Tobor

Tobor

Tobor

Get your peanuts....

Yesterday I had time to sand out the wrinkles/high spots from the fiberglassing on the lower airframe. Actually those wrinkles looked more like the low rolling waves we get on the beaches here in Chicago.

I also worked on the aft CR to allow it to fit over the GLR motor retainer.

And I finally got around to do some basic testing on my EggTimer Proton. Worked first try and I like the simple interface EggTimer developed for it.

Lower Airframe Sanded-Small.jpg
    MMT Aft CR Fitted-Small.jpg