Madcow 5.5" Nike Tomahawk

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeeRoc29

Reaction score
I got in on the deal yesterday and picked up the kit in person this morning. Got to see all the kits in person ready to go. Apparently I got the first one! Thanks to Mike and Terri for great customer service.

I'm going to swap the 75 booster mmt with a 98. M2400T to a K250 should be a sweet project for black rock next year.

I bought one. I hope they offer a Nike Smoke option package; NC, payload section for the booster. Not sure why they went with 3/32" fins for the upper stage.

I got in on the deal yesterday and picked up the kit in person this morning. Got to see all the kits in person ready to go. Apparently I got the first one! Thanks to Mike and Terri for great customer service.

I'm going to swap the 75 booster mmt with a 98. M2400T to a K250 should be a sweet project for black rock next year.

I really wanted to get one and do the same thing, but I have too many kits on the build pile (including last years half built nike).

I'm looking forward to putting this together as my second HPR 2-stage. And a new Eggtimer computer to power it. I'll fly it with a TRS + Proton in the sustainer, and a Proton or Quantum in the booster.

I don't have the kit in hand, but I made up an OR file based on the assembly diagram from Madcow. I'll update it with component weights once I get my hands on the kit.

Changes I made :
- added parachutes
- removed 1 x centering ring from booster coupler
- added 3x bulkhead to booster coupler, 1 at top (will be glued in), two at bottom for removeable bulkhead to contain AV bay
- shortened 3" coupler connecting Booster/Sustainer

The fins are scaled up from the smaller Nike->Tomahawk Madcow kit.

cheers - mark

Attachments

• Madcow Nike-Tomahawk-LG.ork
    3.4 KB · Views: 27
In speaking with my local PO workers, shipping in socal has been really messed up due to the fires. Mike mentioned last Saturday that he was having some issues with pickup/deliveries. I'm sure it won't be long now.

How Ironic; I was just reading the last post about your item being shipped and I get a notification on my phone stating that the order has been shipped.
I also have a Trinity rocket coming.

JD

I also have one on the way. Thinking about the build, what would you guys suggest for the launch lugs as the booster is obviously larger diameter that the sustainer? Is it common to stand off a launch lug that far? Or, is it common to only lug the booster?

I also have one on the way. Thinking about the build, what would you guys suggest for the launch lugs as the booster is obviously larger diameter that the sustainer? Is it common to stand off a launch lug that far? Or, is it common to only lug the booster?

Only the booster. I will be using 1515 size.

Same here...mine shipped & 1515 buttons. My guess these will probably weight 18-21lbs ready to fly sans motor.
Should provide some exciting to watch flights.

Let me know how your coupler fits the interstage and how well those CR fit it also....mine coupler not even close and CR's for interstage loose as hell, can't use as is.
If just mine I'll make new one, if others have issue, I'll contact Madcow

Anyone who get one of these please check fit and report here.

Titan II can't send you a PM...what's up with that?

Last edited:
Let me know how your coupler fits the interstage and how well those CR fit it also....mine coupler not even close and CR's for interstage loose as hell, can't use as is.
If just mine I'll make new one, if others have issue, I'll contact Madcow

Anyone who get one of these please check fit and report here.

Titan II can't send you a PM...what's up with that?

Mine fit like a glove on the one end, the other was a tad tight if I flipped it around.
The CR's are a little rough on the edges but, do fit the IS.

JD

With a deal of finesse, the ISC fits the transition without sanding. The CRs fit fine. Overall, the quality of workmanship is classic Madcow.....excellent.

Maybe I got lucky, mine fits okay without any sanding.
2018112720292490-IMG_1887-XL.jpg

That's why I have a fleet of flapper wheels, sanding drums, a rack of batteries for the Ryobi 18v drill, etc. You rarely need them but buy a basket full of that stuff from Harbor Freight. It's cheap stuff but you'll be glad you have it.

My booster & I/S are white...top is raw green. i'm painting th whole thing white so no biggie.

Well I'm glad everyone else seems great. So I will just chalk this up as fluke, fix & move on. The rest fits perfect & no complaints.
Rockets are about building not just assembling...lol

Back