Madcow 38mm Mini Tomach

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thomas

Reaction score
Together with the last tubes for my L3 project I ordered also a 38mm Min Tomach from Madcow Rocketry.
Come already prepared for DD and you can get matching parachutes, nomex sheets an kevalar tethers.
The bodytubes are thin fall fiberglass, while the couplers have regular thickness. I also upgraded to a filament wound nosecone.
ebay2.jpg
In the 38mm AV-bay is not much space for two altimeters, on the left you see a Raven Stratologger CF and an Altimax Simply the latter two will be used.
ebay1.jpg
The wiring looks quite chaotic there is not really enough space to make it nice. I am also using magswitches.
Altimax
38bay2.jpg
Stratologger:
38ebay.jpg
The upper bodytube is fixed with M3 PEM nuts to the AV bay.
pem.jpg

The fin slots are slightly too narrow which is better than too wide, but they are also too long.
Therefore I made an additional centering ring which has slots for the fins.
finslotas.jpg
I also made one wood alignment rig for the fins.
The Kevlar tether is glued to the motor tube following the instructions.
back.jpg

It turns out that the 18" parachutes which is suggested as a main is too small for a save recovery.
That is really annoying, it is probably ok for the empty rocket but electronics, motorcase and recovery gear add weight. Madcow should change that to 24" or 30". I will replace it with an X-type chute I had laying around.

What's your projected pad weight? I just got a Mini Frenzy DD, but will keep with the 29mm mount. Holding the bag with the airframe and all recovery gear in it, it is not lightweight. I'm considering just screwing in the top section and going single deploy with a chute release. I really like this little kit though!

Back