Madcow 2.6 inch "Mike's Momba" build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RocketMike

Reaction score
Pictured below is my Momba and Stickershock23 wrap that I actually purchased back in mid 2019. I keep trying to find my way back into the hobby but my continued lack of a launch site for even low power stuff and then the pandemic all seem to be conspiring against me. This is my "someday rocket". As in, "Someday I'll be able to go to a full fledged club launch somewhere and fly it." Till then though, I'm finally building it just for the fun of it and to have something to look at and dream.
The engine mount and shock cord rigging are all in place but the fins are just dry fitted for now as I'm going to paint them separately and install and glue them after I do the wrap. I'm still debating whether I will go with a black nose cone and all black fins or possibly an orange cone with one of the fins also orange. Maybe all orange fins or some yellow in there somewhere, I just don't know yet.

Back when I got this kit and the wrap, I didn't have much money to spare (still don't) and Mark at StickerShock23 worked with me to adapt one of his existing designs to my needs and wants so I didn't have to pay for design time or very little for it anyway so kudos to him for that!
IMG_0069.jpg
IMG_0071(1).jpg

After test fitting the wrap, I think I'm definitely going for the black nose cone and I'm also leaning towards orange fins, with possibly one being yellow. Id' love to get some other input though. Feel free to comment and tell me what you think...

I put a light coat of primer on and sanded. This is my first "bigger" rocket after years of building low power. It's also my first ever wrap so I'm trying to be slow and meticulous. From what I understand, I could have put the wrap on the bare body tube but I wanted to prime the nose cone anyway. Likewise, when I paint to nose cone black, I'll probably just go ahead and give the tube a coat of it too. I have gotten in the habit of "papering" all the fins on my LPR's and I'm debating doing it here. The plywood fins are already pretty smooth with very little visible grain like balsa would have.
IMG_0076(2).jpg

That's what I'm saying though. There seems to be so little grain, I'm not sure that primer alone won't fill it. I'll probably just paper them for the heck of it, really doesn't take that long to do.

That's what I'm saying though. There seems to be so little grain, I'm not sure that primer alone won't fill it. I'll probably just paper them for the heck of it, really doesn't take that long to do.
unless you buy high-build primer, the regular stuff is very thin that I've been getting lately. 🤬 It doesn't fill worth a crap.

Back