Machbuster Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
here is my unmodified giantleap firestorm54 on a LOKI L1400 named insane asylum going mach 1.6 to 15,500 feet. 3lbs dry 9lbs with motor.

LDRS27-Insane asylum3c.jpg

LDRS27-Insane asylum 3b.jpg

Last edited:
IMG_4323e2.jpg

Here is an original rocket vision machbuster.

This 10 year old bad boy flew on a cti f240 Vmax

All i can say is WOW!

rocksim indicated it would go 0 to 1200 MPH in about .3 seconds (which is the burn time of the engine), and reach about 4000 ft.

I couldn't fit a tracker on it, but decided to write my phone number on it just in case.....

When the motor lit, it sounded like an explosion. I had a 210fps video camera going, and only got 1 frame of the rocket leaving the pad, which means it was probably going faster than 1200 MPH by my calculations.

I can't say much more. Nobody ever saw it, or heard from it once it left the pad.

Didn't realize I owned a "Machbuster" till now.

My stock built Level 1 LOC Caliber-ISP held up to the power of a pro38 6Grain White J354White to 6,000ft and right above mach one.

Unfortunutely she was taken by the rocket gods at NSL during a night launch on a I297Skid. A failure of the shockcord sent 50% in ballistic and 50% 4miles out all night.

Bryce

One Mile J354.jpg

OK. Here was my first (verified) supersonic shot: a somewhat modified PML Cirrus Dart on an I600 redline, carrying a prototype Featherweight Parrot onboard. Max speed mach 1.6ish, altitude 11,950 feet:

And the data:

And a Cd curve extracted from the accel data (velocity is in m/s - sorry)

As for yours, why use railbuttons? Are there no towers available?
=================================

Great photo of the Cirrus at liftoff.

This was the most expensive and time consuming "one flight wonder" I've ever done.

Hand laid CF body using a 75/7600 case as a mandrel and a home made vacuum sysem. CF fins using a foam core & 10 ton press. Hand made nosecone using metal & fiberglass.

Rocket weighed about 6lbs.

Launched on a Loki M 3000 76/8000. Expected about 45k feet and mach 3. Fins ripped off, AV-Bay ripped out. Altimeter 2 which was attached to the drogue indicated I had hit mach 4.

tachyon.jpg

famous2.jpg

No pictures, but i got a story. Some years back, I flew my L2 Nimbus on a K445. It should have gone to about 12K, but I lost sight of it on the way down, and for some reason, the tracker didn't work. Lost the rocket. It was found about 1.5 years later in a pasture. The cows had had their way with it. I was able to download the file from the altimeter (the last act of the altimeter before it rolled over and died). The file prove that this was my first Mach flight.

Now my fastest flight to date has been about Mach 2.7. I just found a video of it today from the good folks at UMERG (about 25 seconds in). You will want to have small children leave the room before viewing this because the end of the flight is, well, the end of the flight. No doubt when that happens. Not pretty.

https://tinyurl.com/7r6ekfh

Jim

Back