The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Designer Fly

Reaction score
Who is planning a high speed / high altitude flight with one of Mach 1 Rocketry's BT60 Min Diameter Rockets? What is your set up? What (Alt/Speed) are going for?

Last edited:
I am going to fly my Mach 1 BT-60 Black Hole EXT. It has the 38mm stuffer MMT. Planning to go up on an I59 to an altitude of 9500'. With redundant altimeters, the Raven3 and Quantum will tell me how high it went. There will be an Eggfinder Mini in the payload for tracking. It will be a single break with Chute Release opening at 400'. Might fly first weekend of December if we get a little rain to green up the grass...

Loving my Mach1 kits.0909181320_HDR.jpeg

I have that kit, and hope to get some altitude hints here!
Eggfinder Mini and Quark. But only have 29mm motor, so I’ll have to get creative.

I just ordered the Starlight kit. If I can fit an Eggtimer TRS in the nosecone, I might set it for single deploy at apogee with a chute release. Right now the largest 38mm case I have is a CTI 3 grain. I will have to decide if I want to set up for larger motors than that when I build the kit.

I just received my BT55 Scat with 24mm mount. I'd like to find a place for my Firefly altimeter. What have some other people done? Looking for suggestions.

My "Alien Interceptor" just had its first maiden flight on a G77-7R to 1647 ft at 273 mph...this bird is gonna skewer the sky on an H motor next month!

TOD: I made a wooden payload bay using a popular design found commercially online-took about 45 minutes and I am no carpenter...if you don't have a payload on the scat maybe consider using the inside of the nosecone? I am not too familiar with the firefly mounting requirements but Eric (above) and a few others (mine as well) have made mach one kits and have great build threads on their kits, very helpful in creating your design if you have not found them yet.

I fully intend to stuff an I200 in mine after a few shakedown flights. Should be around 4700'

My "Alien Interceptor" just had its first maiden flight on a G77-7R to 1647 ft at 273 mph...this bird is gonna skewer the sky on an H motor next month!

TOD: I made a wooden payload bay using a popular design found commercially online-took about 45 minutes and I am no carpenter...if you don't have a payload on the scat maybe consider using the inside of the nosecone? I am not too familiar with the firefly mounting requirements but Eric (above) and a few others (mine as well) have made mach one kits and have great build threads on their kits, very helpful in creating your design if you have not found them yet.
Thanks. I was thinking about chopping off the base of the nosecone and putting on a removable bulkhead. I saw a video on line that had some good ideas. I guess if I screw it up I can always get a replacement. I'm going to take my time with it and try to do it right. When it's finished maybe try some CTI 6 grain motors.

I just received my BT55 Scat with 24mm mount. I'd like to find a place for my Firefly altimeter. What have some other people done? Looking for suggestions.
I have that kit built and ready to go also. Do not have that Alt, but send me the size of it and I will see if it will fit in mine.

I built my Mach1 Black Hole 38mm XL with the stuffer tube and Aeropack retainer epoxied into the coupler, no AV Bay, so that I can fit a 38/ 1080 case in it. With ATJ570 sims to 10382' at 1635 mph and pulls 107 g. Eggfinder mini in the nose, built by Eric, and am working on fitting a quark in there also. Hope I used good glue:)

I have that kit built and ready to go also. Do not have that Alt, but send me the size of it and I will see if it will fit in mine.
Thanks Dave! I finished building the rocket and in the meantime also got a Jolly Logic Altimeter 3. I'm just going to attach it to the shock cord at the base of the nosecone with a quick link. With the protective case it fits in the body tube with some room to spare. I drilled three 1/16" sampling holes in the body about 3 1/2" down from the top. I have an AT E20-7W that sims at 1500 ft. I think that will be it's first flight. My club had a launch scheduled for tomorrow that was cancelled due to weather.

Attachments

• IMG_20190302_163614.jpg
    IMG_20190302_163614.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 135
FEC88C55-F298-40FA-B208-782659C136EF.jpeg
Going to break the G altitude record with a Mach1 24mm rocket.

That’s a very bold claim Sir. I personally couldn’t break it with a custom 24mm MD carbon fiber bird with Apogee deploy and supersonic NACA profile fins on a CTI G-145. I even put the Telemini tracker in a custom Von Karman nosecone to reduce rocket length. I only simmed 7500ft and M1.4. Using off the shelf CF tube,FARG, 500# kevlar, and Top Flight 12” thin mill chute. Not calling you a liar. Just very extremely impressed if you do end up breaking it the G record. Rest was SLS printed goodies. Getting near it is challenging enough in 24mm. They don’t make a true mellow configuration. Granted I built mine to test airfoils not do records.

Andrew,

Firstly, you used the wrong motor. We are going to try a few others that give better simulations. More speed = More drag.

Secondly, you have the wrong fin design (even though you spent a lot on it)

Thirdly, there will be more experience and planning put into this effort.

So... I don't think the claims are too bold.

Hey tOD, here are a couple ways that you can try. On a plastic NC there is a shoulder part way down, I've epoxied a bulkhead below that with an eye bolt for attachment. Or you can epoxy a bulkhead with blind nuts so that you can screw in a removable one. This also makes it so that you can access the NC inside. Or you can use a bulkhead that screws into the NC shoulder. The one I have here is from SMT, fit perfect and very well thought out.20190303_143011.jpg 20190303_143114.jpg 20190303_143147.jpg 20190303_143011.jpg 20190303_143114.jpg 20190303_143147.jpg 20190303_143011.jpg 20190303_143114.jpg 20190303_143147.jpg

View attachment 376049

That’s a very bold claim Sir. I personally couldn’t break it with a custom 24mm MD carbon fiber bird with Apogee deploy and supersonic NACA profile fins on a CTI G-145. I even put the Telemini tracker in a custom Von Karman nosecone to reduce rocket length. I only simmed 7500ft and M1.4. Using off the shelf CF tube,FARG, 500# kevlar, and Top Flight 12” thin mill chute. Not calling you a liar. Just very extremely impressed if you do end up breaking it the G record. Rest was SLS printed goodies. Getting near it is challenging enough in 24mm. They don’t make a true mellow configuration. Granted I built mine to test airfoils not do records.
What was your rocket weight without motor?

Was going to say, CF 24mm dart with a good nose a fins should be well more than 7400ft Andrew. My co-worker (L3) hit 5.3k on an F with his. 1.4 Oz weight without motor.

Hey tOD, here are a couple ways that you can try. On a plastic NC there is a shoulder part way down, I've epoxied a bulkhead below that with an eye bolt for attachment. Or you can epoxy a bulkhead with blind nuts so that you can screw in a removable one. This also makes it so that you can access the NC inside. Or you can use a bulkhead that screws into the NC shoulder. The one I have here is from SMT, fit perfect and very well thought out.View attachment 376099 View attachment 376100 View attachment 376101 View attachment 376099 View attachment 376100 View attachment 376101 View attachment 376099 View attachment 376100 View attachment 376101
That's some nice work Dave. I may look into some stuff from SMT to outfit the rocket I'm building now.

Thank you. The SMT one is very nice, did not cost that mush either. I also bought the sled for an Eggfinder mini, but I am also putting a Quark in the nose for deployment, so it would not fit on the SMT tray.

Thank you. The SMT one is very nice, did not cost that mush either. I also bought the sled for an Eggfinder mini, but I am also putting a Quark in the nose for deployment, so it would not fit on the SMT tray.
I looked at the Quark. It would be adequate for me and it looks like a good entry level kit, at least the cost of failure is minimal:D

Well, I kind of got 4 of em. Had Eric build them for me and that last have not yet arrived. Looks like he did a great job even though they have yet to fly.

BT-60 Black Hole EXT went to 9,899' on an I59. Going to try again after polishing the paint finish and launch on a less windy day. Trying to clear 10k by a good amount.

I have a BT60 Alien Interceptor MM, LOC nose cone with a Labrat Eggfinder mini adapter, and Strattologer altimeter. I plan a J350-W with an Eggfinder Mini, that sims at just over Mach. Bare, no paint, in all its translucent beauty.

Looks like you got it covered. Good luck, let me know how it goes.
The Scat flew on St. Patrick's Day on an E30-7T to 1327ft. It also flew at Red Glare on a CTI E22 but I didn't record the flight data. I have a CTI F51 to try on a calm day, that little rocket is hard to keep track of.

Back