Mach1 Haymaker BT-50 Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How do you find working with fiberglass relative to regular body tube? I've stayed away from fiberglass so far under the impression it is more difficult to work with.

I much prefer working with fiberglass than paper tubes. It is sturdier, handles fast landings better than paper and balsa, is much easier to finish, and handles hangar rash from my son better. The only benefit to paper was flying cheaper motors, but these small Mach 1 kits fly good on BP motors.

Looks more like a weathercock than anything else.
From video it arced into the wind rather than instability

Try “MOAR POWR!”

It felt like it arced more cross wind to me, but wind was pretty calm at ground level. I flew a Wizard first on an A8-3 that went up dead straight and almost landed on the pad. I really didn't notice what the winds were doing higher up. In any case, the next flight will be with a composite motor. A D13-7W reload should be a nice flight at this park.

I also just ordered some small BP and composite igniters from MJG to try out. I have a BP cluster to light soon and don't want a failure from the Estes igniters. The MJG Firewires work well, so their BP and composite igniters should too.

I also just ordered some small BP and composite igniters from MJG to try out. I have a BP cluster to light soon and don't want a failure from the Estes igniters. The MJG Firewires work well, so their BP and composite igniters should too.

I got some of those recently. Haven't tried them in the field yet, but my bench test was... energetic.

looking good, with that retainer on there rather than engine hook it'll take an 18/20 reload no problem, a D23 motor with the blue flame would set that rocket off nicely, I have a patriot, samurai, and just got the micro mamba in the mail today, and finishing up the electronics bay on a BT 60 black hole

Fiberglass is as easy to work with as cardboard--perhaps more so. Give it a good bath in Dawn dish soap before starting. Let it dry, then start to work.

Easier to finish that cardboard with no spirals to fill. It is generally a bit heavier than paper, so you'll need larger engines than an identical sized cardboard and balsa rocket. They last a lifetime, survive hard landings, and look great.

Lately, I've taken to ordering custom length BT fiberglass airframes from Mach1 to replace the cardboard in some of my favorite kits. Just built two of the BT-60 Estes Honest John kits using fiberglass airframes to replace the cardboard. Saved all that filing of spirals and sanding.

Try fiberglass for your low-power rockets, you'll never look back!

That's what I thought but what's bigger than a C5-3 other than adding a second stage?

Q-Jet motors, but they have a little less initial thrust than the C5. I also have an Aerotech 18-20 case which has the D13 and D24 reloads available.

Fiberglass is as easy to work with as cardboard--perhaps more so. Give it a good bath in Dawn dish soap before starting. Let it dry, then start to work.

I find many of my kits require sanding of parts. Does fiberglass sand as easily as regular tube?

Also, I assume all fiberglass kits require epoxy?

I find many of my kits require sanding of parts. Does fiberglass sand as easily as regular tube?

Also, I assume all fiberglass kits require epoxy?

Wash them really good to get the mold release off

The Mach 1 kits are precision made, so the parts fit together really well, but you have to scuff sand anywhere glue touches very well. As good adhesion requires a rough area for the glue to grab on to. The tubes don’t have spirals so once the glue cures it’s straight to paint. Glue should be epoxy

Thing about sanding fiberglass is safety...
Wear a mask or respirator. And vacuum your workbench when done

Nate, glad you made this build thread, it made me realize that when I did the graphics I had left the stripe for the other side off. The graphics are now corrected.

Ronald

It veered off as it exited the rail and reached an apogee of 239' according to an Altimeter Three or a slightly more generous 252.3' from a Flight Sketch Mini. I'll have to order a longer micro rail for my BT-50 fiberglass rockets.
Nate, Couple questions: how long is the mini rail you used? And did you get a longer one? (What length?)
Thanks.

Back