Mach 3 or Falcon 3

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roytyson

Reaction score
Looking for a new project. I was looking a WM Mach3 to Falcon3. Is CF really worth the cost for the weight. Is there a speed/alt difference worth the cost. What is the Falcon3 price difference driver? Thanks.

I think if you find or build a simulation file for both rockets having the dimensions and weights accurate you will find 2 things.

A lighter rocket will achieve a higher velocity then a heavier rocket with a high average impulse motor. Then with a slow burning or moon burner motor the light rocket will achieve a higher altitude then a heavier rocket.

As I design a project and get all the vitals in and a motor selected I play with mass objects, overall pad weight, CP/CG and fine tune for the flight profile i am looking for.

Last edited:
IMO carbon is overkill for a 75mm rocket. It can also cause issues with GPS trackers because it forms a Faraday cage.

Looking for a new project. I was looking a WM Mach3 to Falcon3. Is CF really worth the cost for the weight. Is there a speed/alt difference worth the cost. What is the Falcon3 price difference driver? Thanks.
CF is a bit lighter, but the Falcon 3 is a bit longer (60" tube vs 48" tube), so both rockets should perform quite similarly given the same motor.
If you want to use the Pro75-6GXL casing, there will be practically no room for a drogue chute in the Mach 3. The Falcon comes with some extra accessories whereas the Mach 3 is a bit more of bare-bone kit (e.g. no fin jig).

Unless you're comited to the biggest motors and ~40kft flights, I suspect the Mach 3 will be the better deal for you. You can also give Tim a call. He is probably aware of some subtle differences that aren't apparent on the homepage.

Reinhard

Reinhard nailed it. 60" carbon tube vs 48" glass tube. IIRC the cone and fins are the same on both, could be wrong on that though. I would just get the one that closely matches the motor(s) you plan to use.

Back