Mach 3.5 Loki L Altitude Record Attempt Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been monitoring winds aloft this week, pretty consistent out of the West, 55 mph at 18k, 69 mph at 24k today. Sharon and I will be out for Saturday, hoping to witness this flight and burn a big M sparky.
I will bring out that extra Loki motor if you are still interested....

Thanks Wayne!

Yeah all week the Jetstream has been nuts. I haven't really looked at the winds I'm Arizona, though.

Also I forget, is your Loki reload the L it the M?

And I love M sparkies.

Late to the party here. Best of luck Scott!
Call if you need anything at all. I'll be available for help.
Here's some inspiration for a good flight.
L2050_Colman_Merchant_flight.JPG

Thanks Wayne!

Yeah all week the Jetstream has been nuts. I haven't really looked at the winds I'm Arizona, though.

Also I forget, is your Loki reload the L it the M?

And I love M sparkies.

L2050, same as yours. Already glued in the liner.
Built the M in a 75/8000 casing, our first Sharon's Sparkler in that casing. Burnsim is calling it 89% M1944, but we might be a bit off on that. Hoping for a 5 second burn and 15k.
Predicted ground winds are slightly lower now, was pushing 20 mph in the afternoon, now it looks more like 11 late in the afternoon.

Awesome picture Scott!

Last edited:
Late to the party here. Best of luck Scott!
Call if you need anything at all. I'll be available for help.
Here's some inspiration for a good flight.
L2050_Colman_Merchant_flight.JPG

Yeah! I'm super excited about the flame to rocket ration on this flight.

Thanks Scott! I appreciate all the help.

And just so everyone knows, I've been pestering Loki Scott about details of this build for years. He's been a huge help, a wealth of information and a voice of reason.

Yeah! I'm super excited about the flame to rocket ration on this flight.

Thanks Scott! I appreciate all the help.

And just so everyone knows, I've been pestering Loki Scott about details of this build for years. He's been a huge help, a wealth of information and a voice of reason.

It's been my pleasure to help you Scott. Projects like this one (and several others like it) are why I wanted to make motors like the L-2050. I wanted to enable people like you that could push the limits of our "hobby" materials and designs to put really small rockets really, really high up in the air, really freakin fast and bring them safely back for display to others to show them what is possible when you go to the extremes.
Thank you for this build Scott.

BTW, the further away you can get, the easier it is to get a visual track on it in my experience.

I’ve been meaning to pick up a 54/4000 case for a while. This whole thread just makes me want to even more!

Awesome build, looking forward to the flight report

Well Scott, did you fly it today? I so wanted to get out to Eagle Eye today but life snuck it's head under the tent. Wish you plenty of luck man!
Thanks! Too bad you couldn't make it out, it was a great turn out.

Nice flame to rocket ratio! How did the telemetry come out?
It came out great. I'll post it here soon.

Thanks everybody. It was a great weekend and a great flight.

There have been some questions about weights. 18oz "empty". But since the motor case is a major structural component that's a little misleading. 161oz on the pad.

Here's some data and random photos. The ones in the grass are post-flight, "out to pasture" retirement photos.
LBLPM&M.png+

LBLPM&M Raven Summary.png

IMG_4782.JPG

IMG_4795.JPG

IMG_4789.JPG

IMG_4790.JPG

IMG_4792.JPG

IMG-4811.jpg

IMG-4809.jpg

Weird things happen at 2500mph. You can see the shape of the shockwave. There's a story to why this happened, and it involved multiple F-bombs. But other than a little surface roughness, the nosecone is still structurally sound. The other side is still shiny and looks brand new-ish.
IMG-4813.jpg

This was an awesome build and flight! I've been slowly designing one similar over the past year using an M1378 for my L3, and seeing yours has increased my motivation to get the design finished and the build started.

Just WOW

Amazing..there are few that I admire and respect and totally look up to as a personal bench mark. There is another thread of a rocket being build that will like yours.. just vanish.. its the skill and workmanship that comes together to produce a flight that sets a "mark" in nobody but your head...in your world.

You did it !

Huge congrats and I have to ask.. what NOW ? <evil grin>

Tom

Back