Mach 10

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Off topic maybe but I received my Nike Smoke kit kit the other day. What a great looking kit! Can't wait to build it. Thanks for a great product at a great price!
Jeff

I've built several clones, but never in kit form. Looking forward to seeing how they compare.

Gotta have it.

Does your product liability coverage handle marital counseling?

Seems as if this was a popular one, with them being sold out now. You planning on doing another run?

Seems as if this was a popular one, with them being sold out now. You planning on doing another run?
I knew a few people wanted one but I didn't expect them to sell out in a few hours. :jaw:

Yeah, I am working on another run.

Well, I couldn't resist and I actually started (and almost finished) this kit last night rather than letting it age like a fine wine in my build pile...

Excellent quality as always. Parts fit perfectly, everything is well packaged and the instructions are clear and well produced.

Only one suggestion for the next time you put some of these together...some kind of alignment guide is needed on this one. A simple wrap around guide to mark the two reference lines 180 degrees apart would be helpful; the instructions have everything to be lined up by sight but I still needed to get some lines on the body tube to get a proper alignment.

It is also a bit challenging to get the motor tube properly aligned. I think I got it but I'm wondering if there isn't some kind of little trick to make that easier.

Anyway, again, what a great reproduction of a wonderful kit from my youth! I should be finishing up the construction tonight and then working on the finish. One of my teenage son's friends sat with me while I was working on this and he was really enjoying watching this go together, asking about a lot of my other models and (I think) hearing some of my rocket stories.

Looking forward to the next batch; I've gotta visit this forum more often!

Well, I couldn't resist and I actually started (and almost finished) this kit last night rather than letting it age like a fine wine in my build pile...

Excellent quality as always. Parts fit perfectly, everything is well packaged and the instructions are clear and well produced.

Only one suggestion for the next time you put some of these together...some kind of alignment guide is needed on this one. A simple wrap around guide to mark the two reference lines 180 degrees apart would be helpful; the instructions have everything to be lined up by sight but I still needed to get some lines on the body tube to get a proper alignment.

It is also a bit challenging to get the motor tube properly aligned. I think I got it but I'm wondering if there isn't some kind of little trick to make that easier.

Anyway, again, what a great reproduction of a wonderful kit from my youth! I should be finishing up the construction tonight and then working on the finish. One of my teenage son's friends sat with me while I was working on this and he was really enjoying watching this go together, asking about a lot of my other models and (I think) hearing some of my rocket stories.
That's a good suggestion, when I built my first clone I used payloadbay.com's fin wrap guide tool (Get It Here) to create a wrap that did what you just described.

I can add one easily in the next batch. Thanks for the comments!

Got any pics of the build? ;)

Whoo Hoo!! Got my order in for the second batch just in time!! Thanks again Ray.

Brett

That's a good suggestion, when I built my first clone I used payloadbay.com's fin wrap guide tool (Get It Here) to create a wrap that did what you just described.

I can add one easily in the next batch. Thanks for the comments!

Got any pics of the build? ;)

Construction's done (except for rounding all the edges), so I will try to remember to post something tonight or tomorrow. I also have to go against my instinctive need to seal the wood to get as close to a glass like finish (though not to Tony Vincent standards) as I can on this one..

Hey,

I have started my Mach 10. First I must say "what a nice kit" everything has its own plastic bag, even the decals. I did have to use the fin wrap guide tool suggested earlier in the thread by InFlight, than you. So every thing has gone without a hitch. I have added some pics for everyone to look at. I hope to start painting tomorrow. I will add more pics then. Enjoy

bottom2.jpg

toplarg.jpg

bottom.jpg

top.jpg

Got mine yesterday!! Thought my package had been stolen because the delivery confirmation said it was delivered that morning, But as it turned out, It was delivered to my next door neighbors house and he didn't drop it off to me till that evening. Just want to thank you again Ray for your help. ( I sent him a couple of panic emails ):eek:

Ray, any idea when the next batch will be ready? Father's day is coming up you know. ;)

There must be a glider I can get to fly right. Maybe this could be the one! (If I don't miss the announcements saying they're available again, that is.)

Since I don't think I've ever seen a real Mach 10, this model seems like a downscale of Scott Branche's (rokitflite) scratch R/C upscaled Mach 10 to me!

There must be a glider I can get to fly right. Maybe this could be the one!

That has been my hope and sentiment dating back to 1975. An original Mach 10 was in there somewhere and I managed to mess it up. I hope I get this one right.

Nice build Dan.

Don't seal the wings!

Thanks mach7, I didn't seal'm.

Two lite coats of gray primer just went on. Tomorrow the blue after some lite sanding of course. Will post more pics then.

There must be a glider I can get to fly right. Maybe this could be the one! (If I don't miss the announcements saying they're available again, that is.)

Since I don't think I've ever seen a real Mach 10, this model seems like a downscale of Scott Branche's (rokitflite) scratch R/C upscaled Mach 10 to me!

As for being easy to fly, I think Scott had a better chance of getting an R/C version to fly. The original model is not easy to trim and a lot of them have powered into the ground before ejection.

I never built one myself but I watched JimZ fly his into the ground 3 times at NARAM 43 before he gave up in disgust.

One of the members of our club has adapted his with elevator control and his flys sweet.

Thoughts on building and flying a Mach 10 from someone who has learned the hard way.
1. Use LOTS of weight in the marker cone. Fill that baby with clay. This helps make the boost "straighter", so to speak.
2. Pre-flight test glides with an expended motor casing can work wonders when it comes to making sure you have built something other than a brick. If you can, throw them off of a high balcony and let them glide down.
3. Soaking the transition in thin CA has always worked for me, (toughens that leading edge for the inevitable hard landings.)
4. C5-3's are a mistake.:eek: (MAN, are they a mistake. :y::jaw:)
5. Buy two, because chances are good that you'll kill one.

As for being easy to fly, I think Scott had a better chance of getting an R/C version to fly. The original model is not easy to trim and a lot of them have powered into the ground before ejection.

I never built one myself but I watched JimZ fly his into the ground 3 times at NARAM 43 before he gave up in disgust.

One of the members of our club has adapted his with elevator control and his flys sweet.

Oh, I don't know.......I saw one of Scott's fly without the R/C and it flew so well that it's actually mine now. He said; "it's in the other field with all the ticks, if you can find it, it's yours.......". Two steps over the poo-line and into the tick field and I was the proud owner of a BT-80 upscale Mach 10 (I gave it back once he promised to give me patterns). At the same time, Jim flew his original scale kit and it flew fine. The key to both was to have it trimmed out prior to sticking it on the rod...........

Take all the time you need to trim it right before the flight.

Back