Mach 1 on a H275?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DAllen

Reaction score
I work at an civil engineering firm and we make LOTS of prints. As a result there are tons of these 2" heavy cardboard tubes we sometimes save in a back room. I've been thinking that it would be cool to make a rocket out of the 3' long tube to hopefully garner some interest for rocketry in my office. I do realize it is a non-standard size tube. No big deal, I have a friend with a lathe who has offered to turn a nose cone for me and can make some centering rings.

The weird thing is when I put it into Rocksim, it seems to think it will break mach with an Eliis H275. I even put "matt" finish on all of the parts to make the results a little more conservative and closer to reality. I am pretty sure the weight of the tube is right. I guess I am a little surprised a 2" design like this would so easily go so fast. Am I missing something stupidly obvious here?

I don't plan on using any electronics. I'm just going to wait for a crystal-clear day with little wind and hopefully several people to help watch. Should be fun and could be a nice tribute to the late Mr. Ellis. And if I loose it...eh...who cares? It's going to be made out of spare parts.

-DAllen

View attachment I69 burner.rkt

Hi DAllen,

the weight looks too low, I see the total weight is only 12oz.

I see a Pine 2" nose cone with a mass override of .8 oz?

Also the body tube is not mass over ridden, what is the weight of your print roll tube?

It probably is very heavy compared to say LOC or Aerotech 2" tube.

Back