Mach 1, Black Hole EXT

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eric

Reaction score
This is a post build write up for my Mach 1 Rocketry, Black Hole EXT. Steve was great working with me on shipping. I had the kit sent to a hotel I would be at for three weeks. I will do a write up of the second kit (X-AGM-76 Piercer) in another post. The Black Hole EXT was compleated and flown at LDRS.

This was 1 of 9 rocket kits that got started during that trip. Some images may overlap with the other write-up. But I will do my best to sort everything out.

I started by unpacking the kits and organizing all the pieces. The kits were very nicely packaged and very complete. I did a dry mock-up of all the parts and was very happy how nice everything fit together. The fin slots were perfectly straight and cut to very close tolerances. The fins would stay lined up almost perfect even without the fin guides. I was happy about this because a couple other kits I had recently received from another manufacturer required a lot of fin slot adjustment to make them fit.

0408181616.jpg

After sorting all the parts. Everything got a nice hot bath with some Dawn. It wasn't the easiest thing cleaning in a hotel sink. But the job got done very well.

0408181631.jpg
These were early release kits and the nose cone and decals were shipped separately.

0408182028.jpg
After everything was dry, all of the parts received and initial wipe down with acetone. And all parts that would see epoxy we're roughed up with 60 Grit sandpaper. Then wiped with acetone again.

I started assembly with the motor mount tube and centering rings. The top centering ring received a second notch so that the included Kevlar harness could be installed as a " Y ". BSI 30 minute was used for tacking the fiberglass parts together and attaching the recovery harness. The top 3 centering rings were tacked on before the motor mount was installed.

0409182112.jpg

The fins were scuffed and the root were combed for added physical bonding area. It also allowed epoxy to flow nicely once the internals where injected. At home I would have used the bandsaw with all the fins stacked for this. But in a hotel they received a Dremel with a cut off wheel. Not as clean, but it worked.

0409182143.jpg

The motor mount tube was inserted and the four forward fins were tacked in with 30 minute. Each fin received a small external fillet of System Three T-88. I wanted to seal all the fin joints prior to injecting internals.

0409182156.jpg

I drilled a hole big enough for my 60ml syringe at the top side of each fin. I used about 50ml in each fin cavity. Covered each hole with a small piece of masking tape. Then began heating the fin can and rotating to evenly flow epoxy around all the parts. With an 8-hour cure time the T-88 flowed very well with a hotel hair dryer. I added black dye to the T-88 and you could see it wick under the centering rings when heat was applied to the area.

0410180003.jpg

After about 15 minutes of heating and rotating. The entire internal fin area was well covered . The rocket was left nose down to cure for the night.

0410182010.jpg

The next day the aft fins were put into place. They were clamped with stir sticks to hold an alignment with their forward fin.

Again the fins received an external small fillet of T-88 to seal the internal area off.

0410182010.jpg

The internal fillet epoxy was poured in through the back before installing the aft centering ring. Again heat was applied while rotating the fin can until epoxy evenly flowed around all the parts. The very aft end of the motor mount receive one last wiping of acetone. Then JB Weld was mixed up and applied to install the Aeropack retainer base. Then the rocket was left nose down to cure overnight.

0410182105.jpg

The next morning I put the rocket into my high-tech curing oven.

0411180722.jpg

Note.... I tipped housekeeping very well, and never received one complaint. They actually came back in the evening to ask if everything was cleaned well.

External fillets we're done one side at a time. I would usually do two or three rockets at the same time per night and let them cure overnight before rotating to do the next side.

0417182039.jpg

For the Black Hole I used MetalSet A-4. It was my first time using this epoxy for fillets. It reminded me of JB Weld but had a working time of only 30 minutes. It held a shape very nice. And flowed pretty smooth on the edges.

0417182102.jpg

0417182123a.jpg
The rocket spent a lot of time in the high-tech curing oven between fillet sets.

The switch band was epoxied onto the coupler with more T-88.

And that's all that got done until I brought the Rockets back home.

And then the rocket was magically painted. I applied a couple coats of Bondo spot filler and sanded a little nicer fillet shape. Then a few coats of primer with sanding in between. Then was painted with gloss black.

0510181201.jpg

Now I just needed a nose cone and decals.

And then they appeared. Steve actually overnighted them because we were cutting it close to LDRS. And he wanted me to have time for the paint to cure. Great customer service.

0515181325_HDR.jpg

Parts spent a few days in another high-tech oven. Just to have them ready for transportation in time.

0510180818.jpg

The kit is supplied with decals by Stickershock, so they are great quality as well.

0516181432.jpg

In my rush to get it painted. I did not paint the fins to the matching blue. But that's okay because it is getting a new set of decals with a lighter color. And then the fins will be repainted to match.

0516181430.jpg

Very nice build thread. Are your two kits 3 or 4"? I purchasd a 2.6 " kit and very happy with the quality of the kit. Mach 1 does a great job.

Very nice build thread. Are your two kits 3 or 4"? I purchasd a 2.6 " kit and very happy with the quality of the kit. Mach 1 does a great job.

My kits are 3". And I am very happy with the kits. They even come complete with hardware with forged eyebolts even. I bet you got the same eye bolts. Which might start being kind of big for that size and smaller.

And of course. During the pre launch photo.

0516181446.jpg

The small Adventurer 2 blew over, and Domino'd all of them. And of course it would scratch right where the new decals are.

0816181646.jpg

But that did not affect how great it flew at LDRS. I entered it in Fruity Chutes 200N3K contest.

So while carrying a 12oz beverage in the payload section. It flew on a J500G. IIRC to an altitude of 2,890' and stayed in the air on a 72" chute for 183 seconds.

Closest to 3000' and 200 second air time.

Scored me a $150 fruity gift card. And I know have a 48" Iris Ultra compact chute because of that rocket...

21539.jpeg

Thanks Steve.

Awesome write up! And congrats on the pretty fruity looking chute. You use a very high tech oven set up similar to mine. :)

They generally love tips. Pilots do it usually too. He’s likely on the favorite list. A smile and a tip goes a long ways.

I left a nice tip one morning and the next night, when I got back to the room, the beers that were on the desk were in an ice bucket, packed in ice.
Likewise, my wife befriends the staff at every place we stay for multiple days.

Safely assume "housekeeping" hates you.:cool:

I think they were happy with me. I would leave a $10 or $20 depending how dusty I left everything. They would always wash the dishes and leave everything in great shape. Then pass by around 6 to ask if everything was cleaned okay.

This flew last weekend on a CTI J250 Skidmark. It was a beautiful flight up to 2500'.

Attachments

• received_453013675442975.jpeg
    received_453013675442975.jpeg
    59.1 KB · Views: 69
  • received_408950756572922.jpeg
    received_408950756572922.jpeg
    41 KB · Views: 77
  • received_953067678231273.jpeg
    received_953067678231273.jpeg
    28.9 KB · Views: 65
  • FB_IMG_1555289989624.jpg
    FB_IMG_1555289989624.jpg