MAC Performance VTS-6 Missile Collector Series

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike2wander

MAC Performance Rocketry
TRF Sponsor
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Vought VTS-6

The ALVRJ (Advanced Low-Volume Ramjet; sometimes Air-Launched Low-Volume Ramjet) program was begun by Vought (later LTV) in 1968 under contract from the U.S. Navy. The goal was the flight test of a small and compact ("low volume") ramjet engine for missile applications. LTV designed the propulsion system of the ALVRJ missile as an integral rocket/ramjet. A solid-fuel rocket motor boosted the missile for 5 seconds to ramjet ignition speed, and then the empty rocket motor casing functioned as the ramjet's combustion chamber.

In 1983 LTV offered the VTS-6 (Vought Target System 6), a derivative of the ALVRJ/STM design, as its entry into the Navy's YAQM-127A SLAT (Supersonic Low-Altitude Target) competition. The VTS-6 missile was essentially identical to the ALVRJ vehicle except for a slightly longer fuselage to accommodate additional target-specific equipment.

Well......I was hoping to have paint and vinyl on it by now. We loaded it on the web site a couple days ago, and the first run of kits has sold out. We will have another 12 kits available by April 25th.The VTS-6 is the first kit in our new Missile Collector Series, with plans to release our second kit later this summer. You can check it out and reserve yours at https://shop.macperformancerocketry...cket-kits/products/copy-of-arcas-4-diameter-1 Our printed nozzles and AvBay boards will soon be available separately. BTW, our 54mm tube will be in stock in the next few weeks. It's crazy light and wicked strong!

Mike Crupe
MAC Performance Rocketry
FLY CANVAS!

VTS-6 Outside.jpg VTS-3.jpg VTS-6 Layout 2.jpg

Last edited:
Vought VTS-6

The ALVRJ (Advanced Low-Volume Ramjet; sometimes Air-Launched Low-Volume Ramjet) program was begun by Vought (later LTV) in 1968 under contract from the U.S. Navy. The goal was the flight test of a small and compact ("low volume") ramjet engine for missile applications. LTV designed the propulsion system of the ALVRJ missile as an integral rocket/ramjet. A solid-fuel rocket motor boosted the missile for 5 seconds to ramjet ignition speed, and then the empty rocket motor casing functioned as the ramjet's combustion chamber.

In 1983 LTV offered the VTS-6 (Vought Target System 6), a derivative of the ALVRJ/STM design, as its entry into the Navy's YAQM-127A SLAT (Supersonic Low-Altitude Target) competition. The VTS-6 missile was essentially identical to the ALVRJ vehicle except for a slightly longer fuselage to accommodate additional target-specific equipment.

Well......I was hoping to have paint and vinyl on it by now. We loaded it on the web site a couple days ago, and the first run of kits has sold out. We will have another 12 kits available by April 25th.The VTS-6 is the first kit in our new Missile Collector Series, with plans to release our second kit later this summer. You can check it out and reserve yours at https://shop.macperformancerocketry...cket-kits/products/copy-of-arcas-4-diameter-1 Our printed nozzles and AvBay boards will soon be available separately. BTW, our 54mm tube will be in stock in the next few weeks. It's crazy light and wicked strong!

Mike Crupe
MAC Performance Rocketry
FLY CANVAS!

View attachment 288382 View attachment 288383 View attachment 289745

Finally Finished!

VTS-6 Sunny.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20160505_164456_849.jpg
    IMG_20160505_164456_849.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 187
Last edited:
This one looks really really fun.... Can't wait to see it fly.

oh yes...... I noticed this on your site a couple of days ago and then it dissapeared. Now I know why. Yes, this has moved to the top of the 'to buy' list (outdoing the 7.5 Polecat Nike Smoke I saw last weekend).

I see the that Ram intakes narrow towards the rear end. Is the rear end of each of these open? I as wondering what effect, if any, that the slightly compressed air would do if forced out the back just in front of the motor. Should just compress the flame and narrow it, but, I WANNA FIND OUT.... :)

again..> WANT

This one looks really really fun.... Can't wait to see it fly.

The VTS-6 will be flown at NYPOWER 20 (May 28th, 29th, 30th). Hope you can make it out for one of the days. Congratulations on the new baby due any day now!

oh yes...... I noticed this on your site a couple of days ago and then it dissapeared. Now I know why. Yes, this has moved to the top of the 'to buy' list (outdoing the 7.5 Polecat Nike Smoke I saw last weekend).

I see the that Ram intakes narrow towards the rear end. Is the rear end of each of these open? I as wondering what effect, if any, that the slightly compressed air would do if forced out the back just in front of the motor. Should just compress the flame and narrow it, but, I WANNA FIND OUT.... :)

again..> WANT

The ram intakes are non functional. There are four 1/4 ply blocks epoxied inside each intake for structural integrity.
IMG_20160313_193654_632.jpgIMG_20160314_174222_630.jpgIMG_20160323_205302_112.jpgIMG_20160315_151535_033.jpg

Thanks!
Mike Crupe
MAC Performance Rocketry
FLY CANVAS!

Last edited:
Must...resist...

At least, I must resist until I get back from holiday at the end of June...

I have made it this long. C'mon, guys! If you buy out the latest run, I won't have the temptation hanging over me!!!

Cheers,
Michael

The VTS-6 will be flown at NYPOWER 20 (May 28th, 29th, 30th). Hope you can make it out for one of the days. Congratulations on the new baby due any day now!

Thanks! I'm 99% sure I'll miss NYPOWER, and about 25% go for URRF. All this "having a baby" and "buying a house" crap getting in the way of rockets.... ;)

Wow Mike that looks great ! If you have room , could you bring that one along next weekend so I can finger fu... look at it closer . Your right , the red really made it pop .

Eric

Back