MAC Performance HYPER 54 M/D

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike2wander

MAC Performance Rocketry
TRF Sponsor
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
This kit has been a while in the making and is guaranteed to deliver outstanding performance from our Canvas Phenolic airframes. It was flown at AIRfest a couple weeks ago on a Loki L1040 to an altitude of 21,787' and Mach 2.3 (1822 MPH). The kit features Mike Fisher's MAX Q fincans with our fin profile. They are numbered and signed by Mike. Also included in the kit is our FastBack 54 motor retainer and Wildman FWFG-VK nosecone. Deployment is configured with a 7" payload tube and a modified HED. There are only 6 of these kits currently available.....You know you want one!
Cost $330.00 Send PM or contact me at [email protected]
HYPER 54 1.jpg
HYPER 54 1.jpg HYPER 2.jpg HYPER 54.jpg

Last edited:
The first run of kits are gone. Thanks so much to everyone. I'm currently working on a second batch and they will be added to our website as one of our regular kits.
Pre-orders are welcomed.

Mike

Kit arrived and looked great as usual. My work area is starting to look like a MAC storage area have a 4" Scorpion to build, 54mm Blackfly and a 4" Blackfly now this one lol O well have plenty of winner projects to work on I guess

This kit has been a while in the making and is guaranteed to deliver outstanding performance from our Canvas Phenolic airframes. It was flown at AIRfest a few weeks ago on a Loki L1040 to an altitude of 21,787' and Mach 2.3 (1822 MPH). The kit features Mike Fisher's MAX Q fincans with our fin profile. They are numbered and signed by Mike. Also included in the kit is our FastBack 54 motor retainer and Wildman FWFG-VK nosecone. Deployment is configured with a 7" payload tube and a modified HED. There are only 6 of these kits currently available.....You know you want one!
View attachment 361561 View attachment 361563 View attachment 361564

Now available at www.macperformancerocketry.com

Yep, had to have one, just ordered through the website. What kind of ejection charge setup did you use at that altitude?

Nothing special was done for that altitude. I used FFFFg black powder and our deployment charge canisters. The rules change around 30K.... depending on who you talk to. ;)

Wow, that was fast! My Hyper54 showed up in the mail today! I did a quick dry-fit and everything looks great. I do have a few questions, though, if you don't mind.
1) I've never work with canvas phenolic before. Do you have any special tips about finishing, or should I just treat it like fiberglass?
2) To achieve your 21K+ altitude, did you use a flyaway rail guide to reduce drag, or do you have rail guides installed that aren't visible in the pics?
3) Do you have a Rocksim file for this on the site?

Really looking forward to building this and getting it in the air!

IMG_4152.jpg

Wow, that was fast! My Hyper54 showed up in the mail today! I did a quick dry-fit and everything looks great. I do have a few questions, though, if you don't mind.
1) I've never work with canvas phenolic before. Do you have any special tips about finishing, or should I just treat it like fiberglass?
2) To achieve your 21K+ altitude, did you use a flyaway rail guide to reduce drag, or do you have rail guides installed that aren't visible in the pics?
3) Do you have a Rocksim file for this on the site?

Really looking forward to building this and getting it in the air!

1) The Canvas really doesn't need any special preparation for painting. Just scuff it with some 320, wipe it down with alcohol and prime it. The 2K primers do work the best for high build/coverage, Then finish off with your color of choice.

2) I use Andrews (Additive Aerospace) latest version of "Fly Away" rail guides. They are hands down the best!

3) If you go onto our website www.macperformancerocketry.com and go to the Links page. Scroll down to the link for the Ork. and RocSim files. There you will find the files for all of our kits.

Send us a Picture when its done, we'll add it to the website
Thanks so much!

Right on, thanks. I use Andrew's Mobius camera shrouds and was looking at that exact rail guide. I see the .ork file on the site but no Rocksim version, so I'm rolling my own. Once I get done weighing and measuring everything, I'll post pics as I start the build.

A couple more questions:
1) Are there any issues with canvas phenolic getting wet, like from wet sanding the primer coats (or landing in a creek, for that matter)? Seems like there wouldn't be, but I'd be guessing.
2) I noticed in one of your pics that some of the paint was stripped off the fin can from the supersonic flight. Was the nose cone like that too, or is it more specific to the paint not adhering to the aluminum fin can? I'm planning to leave the fin can unpainted, but I'm considering high-heat primer and paint on the NC, with the hope it will stay on better than regular Rustoleum. I did have regular paint strip from the NC of a rocket at mach 1.17. Not sure high heat paint would necessarily stand up to high-friction. Any experience you can share is much appreciated.

Thanks!

Right on, thanks. I use Andrew's Mobius camera shrouds and was looking at that exact rail guide. I see the .ork file on the site but no Rocksim version, so I'm rolling my own. Once I get done weighing and measuring everything, I'll post pics as I start the build.

A couple more questions:
1) Are there any issues with canvas phenolic getting wet, like from wet sanding the primer coats (or landing in a creek, for that matter)? Seems like there wouldn't be, but I'd be guessing.
2) I noticed in one of your pics that some of the paint was stripped off the fin can from the supersonic flight. Was the nose cone like that too, or is it more specific to the paint not adhering to the aluminum fin can? I'm planning to leave the fin can unpainted, but I'm considering high-heat primer and paint on the NC, with the hope it will stay on better than regular Rustoleum. I did have regular paint strip from the NC of a rocket at mach 1.17. Not sure high heat paint would necessarily stand up to high-friction. Any experience you can share is much appreciated.

Thanks!
1) Canvas is waterproof. You can just let it dry out after its been in/under water.
2) The paint on the rocket is Automotive (Spies Hecker) and there was only some slight distorting on the upper edge of the vinyl flame decal. it was flown to Mach 2.3 (1822). I used a special Aluminum primer on the can but I think the 2K primer I used on the rest of the kit would have been better. I was trying to keep the material build up to a minimum. The added material on the fins affects the fit of the fincan assy. to the air frame. also for that reason there was no paint applied to the airframe under the fincan. Component fit is critical.

Mike

I'm really enjoying building this kit. The biggest challenge is that I'm trying to pack redundant dual deployment altimeters plus my usual Trackimo3G GPS tracker and Altimeter2/3 into the tiny av-bay. Just got that together last night with a pair of Altus Metrum Easy Minis powered by 12v A23 Duracell batteries and mini push on/off switches from Apogee. Can't wait to fly this bird!

IMG_4194.jpg
IMG_4196.jpg
IMG_4219.jpg

I'm really enjoying building this kit. The biggest challenge is that I'm trying to pack redundant dual deployment altimeters plus my usual Trackimo3G GPS tracker and Altimeter2/3 into the tiny av-bay. Just got that together last night with a pair of Altus Metrum Easy Minis powered by 12v A23 Duracell batteries and mini push on/off switches from Apogee. Can't wait to fly this bird!

View attachment 366163 View attachment 366164 View attachment 366165

I like the layered approach for the AV bay layout.

Good work.

This kit has been a while in the making and is guaranteed to deliver outstanding performance from our Canvas Phenolic airframes. It was flown at AIRfest a couple weeks ago on a Loki L1040 to an altitude of 21,787' and Mach 2.3 (1822 MPH). The kit features Mike Fisher's MAX Q fincans with our fin profile. They are numbered and signed by Mike. Also included in the kit is our FastBack 54 motor retainer and Wildman FWFG-VK nosecone. Deployment is configured with a 7" payload tube and a modified HED. There are only 6 of these kits currently available.....You know you want one!
View attachment 361561 View attachment 361561 View attachment 361563 View attachment 361564

Beautiful rocket :)

So I finally got a chance to launch my Hyper54 with LUNAR last Saturday (Dec 8), and it went to 11,290ft on a K850--not bad for a 1st flight! I flew it naked because it wasn't ready for paint until right when all the smoke from the Camp Fire started blowing into the Bay Area for the next 2 weeks, followed by much needed rain. Rob Heil got a great liftoff shot, and the in-flight video came out really good too. I made a little iMovie of it and posted it here: Can't wait to fly it again on a larger motor!

Hyper54 Launch photo.jpg
Hyper54 - Apogee at 11290 ft.jpg

After a great first flight "naked," I finally got a chance to paint my Hyper54. I left the fins bare metal and tried to keep the paint simple and light weight, while drawing on various sounding rocket paint schemes I've seen. Looking forward to getting this in the air again and pushing it higher!

IMG_4336.jpg
IMG_4340.jpg
IMG_4341.jpg

looks good, unfortunately I found out after I was finished building mine I cant use aluminium fins at are field and nearest field I "believe" I can is over 8hr drive

After a great first flight "naked," I finally got a chance to paint my Hyper54. I left the fins bare metal and tried to keep the paint simple and light weight, while drawing on various sounding rocket paint schemes I've seen. Looking forward to getting this in the air again and pushing it higher!

View attachment 370460 View attachment 370461 View attachment 370462
Which camera do you have on board and did you make the shroud? Good looking design and flight.

I’m curious why the rules about aluminum fins at your field?
I don't want to miss quote him but basically the way I understand it is the way tripoli code is written you cant use aluminum fins, so thats what they enforce. Why I can at one Tripoli field and not another I have no idea just going by what are Prefect told me

looks good, unfortunately I found out after I was finished building mine I cant use aluminium fins at are field and nearest field I "believe" I can is over 8hr drive

I know it defeats the purpose, but what if you paint them? Will they allow that?

Back