MAC Performance Custom Boat Tail Kit

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

watheyak

Ex-Jaywalker
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I'm just putting the finishing touches on a custom boat tail kit that Mike at MAC Performance made for me. All the usual MAC awesomeness applies. Perfect parts fit, great materials and outstanding attention to detail. And Mike is great to work with, I have a rocket buddy I've yet to meet. Nat at Upscale CNC also laid out and cut some complex bulkplates for me. None of this would have worked without his help.

The goal for this rocket was to have a fun rocket to fly every launch. The idea came as I was using all my weight to cram a parachute into a minimum diameter rocket at Balls. I want a rocket I can fit my arm into. I want a rocket that has plenty of room for all the stuff. A sign that I'm getting old maybe?

I also wanted to try something different with the deployment. I wanted to use a deployment bag for the reliable main deployment they can provide. I also wanted it to deploy out of a single airframe break. And I wanted it to all stay together, rather than drogue and main separating as two separate entities. Easier said than done. Much racking of brain and many sketches later I came up with a system than I think works pretty well. I just can't tell whether trying to keep it simple made things really complicated. A little of both.

I also wanted some nice bells and whistles for this. I chose the upper echelon of accessories for this, keeping with the MAC quality it started with. This meant Fruity Chutes, MARSA altimeters, Featherweight GPS, CO2 deployment and good quality paint. And I was able to pay for it all with Jet-A fuel rebates I get at work!

It'll fly this weekend at the TRAPHX launch in Eagle Eye, AZ on a CTI L-805. Should hit just about 10k'.

IMG_1938.JPG IMG_1940.JPG IMG_1941.JPG IMG_1933.JPG IMG_1935.JPG Nosecone Bulkhead.jpg IMG_1946.JPG IMG_1949.JPG IMG_1950.JPG

You did a beautiful job painting your rocket. Mike does make really great kits and custom components. Keep us informed on how the CO2 ejection works.

All the best,
Bob

Wow fantastic workmanship. Love the component choices and that paint job, very nice! I am working on a 4" AV bay right now and when I saw your pics of the Raptor with the canvas coupler and the PEM nuts I had to laugh.

You did a beautiful job painting your rocket. Mike does make really great kits and custom components. Keep us informed on how the CO2 ejection works.

All the best,
Bob

Thanks! The CO2 worked great on the ground test. The Raptor seems a bit more immediate and forceful than others I have seen. This is my first experience with CO2, so far, so good.

Wow fantastic workmanship. Love the component choices and that paint job, very nice! I am working on a 4" AV bay right now and when I saw your pics of the Raptor with the canvas coupler and the PEM nuts I had to laugh.

Hey that looks all looks familiar! Nice work, as well. Did you paint the bulkhead?

Hey that looks all looks familiar! Nice work, as well. Did you paint the bulkhead?

Yes it's a new habit that I have gotten into. I paint the forward bulkhead blue (blue to the sky) and red (red for the flame) for the aft bulkhead. Just another visual cue to get it right when grabbing for things while prepping. I use a high heat spray paint. I think it's for calipers or engine blocks, I can't recall but it holds up relatively well. I also key one bulkhead to the AV bay so you can literally assemble them with the lights off and the sled is always seated in the same orientation.

Yes it's a new habit that I have gotten into. I paint the forward bulkhead blue (blue to the sky) and red (red for the flame) for the aft bulkhead. Just another visual cue to get it right when grabbing for things while prepping. I use a high heat spray paint. I think it's for calipers or engine blocks, I can't recall but it holds up relatively well. I also key one bulkhead to the AV bay so you can literally assemble them with the lights off and the sled is always seated in the same orientation.

Nice touch! I may incorporate some or all of that next time.

Nice touch! I may incorporate some or all of that next time.

Below are some more pics of the current AV Bay and a few of my most used AV bay with the paint on the bulkheads. This AV bay is from a 54mm MD which has 13 or 14 flights on it, roughly half of those with the paint on the bulkheads so you can get an idea on how well it holds up.

IMG_4635.JPG Gorgeous build, Scott. Clearly over the top. Mike made up a boat tail Villain kit for me a couple of years ago and more recently a 4 inch upscale Arapahoe. He's the best there is at the custom thing.

...and more recently a 4 inch upscale Arapahoe. He's the best there is at the custom thing.

Nice! If I didn't have all parts and cuts done for my scratch Arapahoe-K, I might be on the phone with Mike now.

Last sentence +1. Mike made me a 3D printed tailcone for the 4.5" Arcas. Came out great!

Last edited:
Arapahoe K from MAC Performance. I really have to finish this bird. IMG_6615.JPG

Mike has done a couple of custom boat tails for me as well as a couple of 3D printed tail cones. Just need to find time to finish all of these!

Back