MAC Performance - Black Fly Upscale Survey Poll + Build Thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Black Fly Upscale

• 38mm MMT / 3" diameter

• 54mm MMT / 4" diameter

• Both!

• None, I like my original 29mm Black Fly just fine.

Results are only viewable after voting.

gfunk

Reaction score
I've been chatting with Mike at MAC Performance and he is willing to make a batch of upscale Black Flies if there's enough interest. The original Black Fly concept came from Michael Pitfield and is a 29mm hoot!

Here's a poll to see what people might be interested in. I'd prefer a 3" air frame with 38mm MMT, with the goal of still being capable of FAA Class 1 flights (<3.3lbs and <125g propellant). Single deploy, could easily add a JLCR. I'd want the Wildman nosecone to house a GPS sled.

I've included the 54mm/4" option too.

If you've never built a MAC kit you're missing out! Everything you hear about them is true!

Last edited:
I've been kicking around a custom order of a 4 inch for awhile... If he makes a run I'm probably in. It will of course need the Aeropack tailcone, and a fiberglass nosecone with an AV bay.

Well, the 3" Black Fly kits sold out in 5 days! Here are a few build pics from mine, with emphasis on comparison to the original.

Fins and MMT are noticeably bigger!
3/8" tubular kevlar is beefy!
Careful to not get epoxy on the kevlar.
I made my own 5 fin jig, I think Mike will have these soon.
Triple dipped internal fillets.
RocketPoxy is handy for jets too!

IMG_3730.jpg

IMG_3791.jpg

IMG_3781.jpg

IMG_3848.jpg

IMG_3851.jpg

IMG_3853.jpg

IMG_3856.jpg

IMG_3849.jpg

Last edited:
Maybe unnecessary, but I glued the harness roll pin in place, then put duct tape over the kevlar, and buttered around that to prevent 2 part foam from getting on the kevlar and sneaking through the forward CR. I centered this goober between 2 fins to avoid interference.

Added a little masking tape to cover the exposed kevlar just above the CR.

Made a NC bulkhead which holds my interchangeable GPS sled and a 1/4-20 set screw and eye nut. Translucent = I can see if the mag switch got turned on!

Ready for fin can foaming.

Guessed the right amount of foam!

IMG_3819.jpg

IMG_3821.jpg

IMG_3858.jpg

IMG_3855.jpg

IMG_3859.jpg

IMG_3865.jpg

Last edited:
Nice addition of the kapton tape, I gots to gets me sum of dat. How did you make the translucent nosecone bulkhead? How do you plan on switching the GPS on, mage switch, screw switch or turn it on before you seal it up? I used a mag switch on my 54 mm BlackFly but I think I am going to use a screw switch on the 3" when I build it. Colours, theme?

Nice addition of the kapton tape, I gots to gets me sum of dat. How did you make the translucent nosecone bulkhead? How do you plan on switching the GPS on, mage switch, screw switch or turn it on before you seal it up? I used a mag switch on my 54 mm BlackFly but I think I am going to use a screw switch on the 3" when I build it. Colours, theme?

I've found Kapton tape for cheap on ebay from China (~$1), or for a few bucks within the US. "Keep calm and Kapton!"

The bulkhead is machined polycarb plastic. It's a little slow to remove (3 flat head screws radially through coupler) so I'm trying a featherweight magnetic switch (mounted on a the 1/8" ply blade sticking up on the sled). Seems to work well.

I ordered upscaled BF vinyl from Stickershock, red letters of the original design. Probably Rustoleum metallic paint, color TBD....

The bulkhead is machined polycarb plastic.

I am guessing that you have access to a machine shop or have a metal lathe and or CNC. Let me know if you have any questions on the wiring for the mag switch. Also if you have not ordered the mag switch yet I would order the larger magnet.

Last edited:
Actually, Michael, I referred to your pictures of mag switch wiring when I was soldering 2 up, so thanks!

Playing around with simulations it looks like I'll be quite close to the class 1 limit (1500g wet), I'll have to not go crazy with paint. May need a little nose weight, so I think another brass replacement tip for the WMFG NC is in order. With no nose weight I'm at ~1 cal with a H130W (to 1900'), 0.62cal with an I211W (to 4300').

Minimal (3/8" dia rod) fin fillets added. Man these 5 fin rockets burn some masking tape making fillets!

'Bout the only thing left to do is Bondo GSP, sand, primer, and paint! Might get a primer paint flight next weekend with NCR or C.R.A.S.H. if the weather permits. JLCR arrived this week. Already have a selection of spheracutes, and a kevlar harness from MAC.

IMG_3873.jpg

IMG_3874.jpg

IMG_3875.jpg

Primered and hoping for a maiden launch this weekend!

A 4"/54mm upscale of this kit would be a beast!

IMG_3940.jpg

IMG_3941.jpg

I wil buy both if he offers them

I'm not saying that a 4" is in the wind but you might want to shoot Mike an email and let him know that just in case he was working on it that you would be interested.

Nice work George, the brass tips look very cool. I have used phenolic, the standard aluminium and I even had a titanium tip machined for my Tomach, but the brass looks pretty unique on that rocket.

Funny you guys should say that. I'm working on the 4"/54's right now. I'll be offering up another batch of 3" BlackFly's and the first batch of the 4" flies next week. PM me to reserve yours. They won't last long.

Funny you guys should say that. I'm working on the 4"/54's right now. I'll be offering up another batch of 3" BlackFly's and the first batch of the 4" flies next week. PM me to reserve yours. They won't last long.

You told me you weren&#8217;t gonna make the 4&#8221; :-(

I wish I had waited. Anyone want to purchase a 3" kit? Completely fresh, haven't started on it yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

Last edited:
You told me you weren&#8217;t gonna make the 4&#8221; :-(

I wish I had waited. Anyone want to purchase a 3" kit? Completely fresh, haven't started on it yet.

I just wanted to update everyone about what happened last night. First of all, Mike and I have been in touch and everything has been made right, and he's even hooked me up because of the unfortunate circumstances. Second, I want to apologize for any negativity towards Mike or his business because of my post. It was not my intention to sully his good name(because he is indeed a good guy and solid vendor as everyone here should already know).

I should have handled the situation privately between Mike and I instead of making it a public affair and airing my dirty laundry on this forum. It was late, I had just gotten home from a LONG out of town work trip and I was a little upset about it all. Thats no excuse but hopefully you all can understand my position about the frustrations I had. We all make mistakes and last night I made one publicly.

Long story short, no one can predict the future and Mike is no exception. He didn't have to take care of me the way that he did but I'm very glad he did and I'm very glad to be a customer of his going forward. I can't recommend his kits or custom products enough. They are all of immaculate quality.

As for the 3" kit, it is no longer for sale. Hope everyone has a good weekend.

Details? Aeropack or 3-D printed tailcone? Nosecone options? Price?

PM inbound.

Details? Aeropack or 3-D printed tailcone? Nosecone options? Price?

PM inbound.

Ad Astra...

The 4" Flies are $129.00. They are single deploy and exactly the same as the 54mm and 3" right down to the Tailcone. The 4" has a 28" airframe and measures approximately 50.5" tall. The 3" sell for $99.00 and have a 22" airframe and are 38.5" tall. Both kits are available with the optional Wildman nosecone. It's a $25.00 option on the 3" and a $35.00 option on the 4". They will be ready to ship either Monday or Tuesday and there are only a few left. Let me know what your thinking.

STOP IT MIKE!!!!! You are killing my rocket budget and February just started. :)

STOP IT MIKE!!!!! You are killing my rocket budget and February just started. :)

Sorry Gary :rofl:

So there are only one of the 4" Flies left and four of the 3".

Oh, did I mention we have a new 4" kit coming out for the "Missile Collector Series" in a couple weeks?
Google Pluto/SLAM

Last edited:
My 3" BF had a maiden flight today on an AT H130W. Great flight to ~1800' (no alti, estimate from sims and GPS data). Minimal wind, so I didn't bother with a JLCR. Landed 300m away.

It was awesome and certainly has earned its finish paint and Stickershock decals.

So far, all of my Black Flies (soon to be a family of 4 with a 4") seem to like adventure... lake landings, landing across rivers, etc. Today was no exception, landing in a mostly frozen marsh.

DSC03012.jpg

DSC03015.jpg

DSC03016.jpg

DSC03031.jpg

IMG_4007.jpg

Last edited:
My 3" BF had a maiden flight today on an AT H130W. Great flight to ~1800' (no alti, estimate from sims and GPS data). Minimal wind, so I didn't bother with a JLCR. Landed 300m away.

It was awesome and certainly has earned its finish paint and Stickershock decals.

So far, all of my Black Flies (soon to be a family of 4 with a 4") seem to like adventure... lake landings, landing across rivers, etc. Today was no exception, landing in a mostly frozen marsh.

Great pics, love the one with your son, he will remember that rocket as being HUGE.

IMG_4079.jpgIMG_4080.jpg

3&#8221; finish paint is Rustoleum Metallic Charcoal.

Used a chunk of aluminum angle to get decals straight.

I&#8217;ll get a nicer, outside (natural light) pictures of these soon enough, but had to share. These decals really make the rocket, the BF font looks great.

Last edited:
View attachment 338019View attachment 338020

3” finish paint is Rustoleum Metallic Charcoal.

I’ll get a nicer, outside (natural light) pictures of these soon enough, but had to share. These decals really make the rocket, the BF font looks great.

This is going to be one pesky spring with all these BlackFlies. Looks great! I am still undecided on my paint jobs for the 3" and 4".

3&#8221; finish paint is Rustoleum Metallic Charcoal.

I&#8217;ll get a nicer, outside (natural light) pictures of these soon enough, but had to share. These decals really make the rocket, the BF font looks great.

Very nice work. The metallic charcoal looks great on that rocket

Expecting the 4" Black Fly today to accompany the 3" already in the build pile. Thinking about breeding them..... :wink:

Back