lvl 1 suggestions

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r1dermon

Reaction score
im looking for a low flying easy lvl 1 cert bird. right now im checking out the LOC warlock, anyone ever certed on this before? i love its size and its motor options.

IMO that would be a good choice. Should be relatively 'low and slow' for a L1, with room to grow. My advice is simple...of the standard vendors, LOC, PML, PE, Binder, and others, pick the rocket based on what you personally like and that's in your price range. They all will work. Add positive retention and go for it!

My L1 bird was a BSD "3" Sprint on an H128. Turned out to be a great choice and I would highly reccommend it.:D

It has also flown on an H180 and H210 with great success and an H220 is up next, I can't wait.:D

Originally posted by r1dermon
im looking for a low flying easy lvl 1 cert bird. right now im checking out the LOC warlock, anyone ever certed on this before? i love its size and its motor options.

I did my L2 on the Warlock (J350W)... If you build it strong enough to grow (like glassing and converting to fins that attach to the motor mount and even using a 54mm motor mount) you might find it a bit underpowered on L1 motors.

I did my L1 on its little brother - the Minnie Mag

yeah, i was also looking at the iroc. but i wanted originality. and the sheer size of the warlock is quite impressive. especially since it can ride on lvl 1 motors. plus, if i get my lvl 2, i already would have a bird to cert with.

yeah, i was also looking at the iroc. but i wanted originality. and the sheer size of the warlock is quite impressive. especially since it can ride on lvl 1 motors. plus, if i get my lvl 2, i already would have a bird to cert with.

Takes the fun outa building a L2 bird :D.

takes the worry out of certing...;)
plus, after that i can go crazy with the extremely high performance birds(not necessarilly at CMASS. im talking about some super high flights at LDRS or something.) im probably going to join tripoli. but im not sure yet. i still havent joined either NAR or tripoli. so thats another thing that must be dealt with.

mmmm, i can smell an L motor already.

If you're dead set on the Warlock then go get it, but if you can get a better price on a Minnie Magg it'll also do both certs. I certed L1 on a Small Endeavor, God I love the looks of em, and L2 on a Minnie Magg......one pound of nose weight and your J is gone......i beefed it up with G10 TTW fins.......it was awesome

If you want to do L2 at CMASS, Warlok would be a better choice than the I-ROC or Minnie Magg. A small J will take the MM and IROC beyound the allowed altitude for a motor larger than I at CMASS.

all of thoes rockets are good L1 birds, you could scratch build a rocket too, if you wanted to.

HI I'm using the Yank Bullet on Nov 26 for my L1 cert flight:)
I had a hard time deciding but after talking with the Pres at BCRA,I've settled for the Yanc.

Hi used it for his L1 and L2 basically bone stock and for his L3 he added some more length to it and glassed it.
To me thats a bargain 1 rocket for all the cert flights:)
If it decides to cato it's not the end of the world being reasonably priced.

If I had my will I would use the PML Bullpuppy for L1 and L2 but it's pricey and I've been told chances are higher that something will go wrong when learning to fly:D
Just my 0.02 cents.
Mikey

takes the worry out of certing...;)
plus, after that i can go crazy with the extremely high performance birds(not necessarilly at CMASS. im talking about some super high flights at LDRS or something.) im probably going to join tripoli. but im not sure yet. i still havent joined either NAR or tripoli. so thats another thing that must be dealt with.

mmmm, i can smell an L motor already.

You certainly have the right idea about certifying (& post-certification flights). There's nothing wrong with being "economical" either ;) Plenty of folks have used the same rocket for L1 & L2 flights. The LOC Warlok would be an excellent choice because of the large diameter--in fact, it's one of the few kits that you could even safely do a "slow & low" L1 cert flight on with an I motor. But once you've got that paper signed off, break out the fancy stuff & let 'em rip :D

It would be an excellent choice for Amesbury. The only mod I would sugest is to extend the fins to the motor tube. Glassing is unnecessary, and would simply add weight and make landings harder.

L1 I285R-S ~ 935 ft.

L1 I284W-S ~ 1311 ft.

L2 J420R-S ~ 1367 ft.

L2 J350W-S ~ 1447 ft.

Bob Krech

sweeeet....
yeah, i was looking at the bullet, but i decided not to go that route because its kindof light. amesbury isnt the largest field in history. lol. and most likely i'd be certing there. LDRS is like 2,000 miles away this year. so thats not an option. but once it moves back to the east, i'll be attending, and hopefully i'll have a lvl 2 by then....
i love stubby rockets, and the warlock is the biggest one i've seen, so it really got my attention. its so huge. lol.
i'll definately check out those fins, maybe extending them to the mmt. thanks for the advice.

i love stubby rockets, and the warlock is the biggest one i've seen, so it really got my attention. its so huge. lol.

You might want to check out the Polecat Thumper then too... 'Glassed airframe & nosecone plus I've read several TRFers who requested larger/additional MMTs at the time of ordering (like upgrading to a 54mm MMT or adding 29 or 38mm outboards). Price is only a little more than retail for the Warlok ;)

Some food for thought :D

I did my level one on a Public Enemy Extreme Performer (4" dual deployment option). It comes in a variety of sizes and motor options. I use 38mm in it and fly on I's and J's. My level one was on an I195J to 1342'. It's big and fun.

niiice. im definately looking for something that will do low altitude on a K. like, under 3,000'. because eventually i want to cert lvl 2 and if i get the warlock i'd like to use it to cert lvl 2 as well. plus, i'd love to burn a K and to do that at CMASS, i have to keep it under 3000'.

i liked that thumper, but man, the first one i saw was the 10", i was like...wait a sec, 98mm mount??? lol. that thing was ginormous. the V-2 also caught my attention on that page. some nice kits there.

lol, yeah, i've seen those. im not big into the whole cone scene. i like the process of building the rocket. knowing that if you scimped on something, you'll pay for it when that baby touches down...however soft or hard. i also like the looks of a rocket better, and the sheer size of a lvl 1-2 bird is quite impressive.

niiice. im definately looking for something that will do low altitude on a K. like, under 3,000'. because eventually i want to cert lvl 2 and if i get the warlock i'd like to use it to cert lvl 2 as well. plus, i'd love to burn a K and to do that at CMASS, i have to keep it under 3000'.

I think you'll be hard pressed to find a rocket that will stay under 3K on a K and still be lifted by a level 1 motor...Get something that will handle H's, I's and J's, then build something else for the K.

Loopy

lol, yeah, i've seen those. im not big into the whole cone scene. i like the process of building the rocket. knowing that if you scimped on something, you'll pay for it when that baby touches down...however soft or hard. i also like the looks of a rocket better, and the sheer size of a lvl 1-2 bird is quite impressive.

I have to admit, don't dismiss the Art Applewhite saucer recommendation so quickly... You say what you said now but after you see one actually fly, it's QUITE likely that you could change your opinion. Art makes some excellent kits. Don't let their simplicity fool you. They ALWAYS get a crowd's attention! :cool:

Originally posted by lalligood
I have to admit, don't dismiss the Art Applewhite saucer recommendation so quickly... You say what you said now but after you see one actually fly, it's QUITE likely that you could change your opinion. Art makes some excellent kits. Don't let their simplicity fool you. They ALWAYS get a crowd's attention! :cool:

My sentiments exactly. Also, I haven't built one of Art's 38mm saucers, but I have built some 18 and 24 mm ones. They go together quickly, but, they do require some skill in getting them together correctly. I would imagine the 38mm ones especially.

The original question was for low flying easy Level 1 kit, and the AA products fit that bill exactly.

I think you'll be hard pressed to find a rocket that will stay under 3K on a K and still be lifted by a level 1 motor...Get something that will handle H's, I's and J's, then build something else for the K.

Actually it's not that hard. All you need to do is to make a large diameter, light weight rocket.

1.) At lift-off, aerodynamic drag is low, so as long as the rocket is lightweight, it will accelerate rapidly and reach a stable flight velocity before leaving the launch rod.

2.) As airspeed increases, aerodynamic drag increases as velocity squared. At some point, the rocket reaches terminal velocity and will go no faster.

3.) After burn-out, a light-weight rocket has less momentum and will slow down quicker than a heavier rocket of the same diameter.

4.) Since the rocket is lightweight, the chute size can be modest.

A ultimate example of this principle is the Art Applewhite saucer, but the LOC Warlok is a good example for a conventional HPR. It's a 7.5 inch rocket that weighs a little over 6 pounds so a motor with ~30 pounds initial thrust will give it a safe boost on a calm day. LOC recommends H128, H180, H220, H238, H123, I211, J170, and J260 for this rocket. There are a lot of other's that will work as well, and there's no reason why a 54 mm mount could not be used in place of the 38 mm stock mount.

A 38 mm H242 gives a safe 7G launch to an altitude of only 555 ft., yet a 54 mm K550 will only boost it to ~2600 ft. That's a pretty good impulse range for one rocket.

If you are looking for a larger HPR kit to fly in the urban Northeast, a rocket of this type is a very good choice.

Bob Krech

ive just perused the PML website, checked out some sport fliers....not too shabby. i like the hydra. a couple of them caught my eye. and i could definately cert with them with no worries on a fairly light H motor. we shall see.

A good rocket on the PML site is the Aurora ;). Nice size, flies great on H - I motors... really rocks on a J - K. :D.

I would also reccommend the PML Matrix for a possible L1 rocket. Flies great on an H123W with a short delay. Really rips of the pad on an H242T.:D

Two words: Small Endeavour Best looking rocket out of PML's lineup.

the Endeavor is one sweet looking rocket:)
would be a good choice, so would the Warlock

Back