Lunching a rocket at your old school

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seeing that I'll never go back to the town I was born in, i'll never launch a rocket back anywhere near the schools I went to.

I did launch rockets at an Elementary school near my dad's development that had an an entire sod farm to the east of the school.

So you launched at the old elementary school and and recovered on the sod farm to the east [ when the winds mostly do that here ]

That sod farm turned into cheap developments that used 30 years to rent to own your house; you know how those work out...

Well done! Les Paul dude's got those leads down and they're having fun.

Most of the time in Steely Dan the Keyboarding is great along with the horns and some drums... But in interludes Walter Becker would do the Guitar leads in the early days... when they went on tour they hires several leads to run that to cover...

Most of the time in Steely Dan the Keyboarding is great along with the horns and some drums... But in interludes Walter Becker would do the Guitar leads in the early days... when they went on tour they hires several leads to run that to cover...

Did Becker do the leads in that one? I don't think I've ever looked.

Awesome tie in of 2 great memories @Art Upton

Those of us who grew up in that era... Steely Dan, Space Race, Model Rocketry, Rock and Roll (and Shop Class) ...... have lived charmed lives.

In regard to launching rockets at our old school.... we built them in shop class... that's back when shop class was a thing. Our shop teacher, Mr. Fisher, was a young guy straight out of college.... what a great guy. Good times... Good Memories.

Well, for what it's worth, I never moved away, and my first BAR launch was in the same school athletic field that my very first "lawn dart" Estes WAC Corporal launch had taken place in probably 50 years prior. Four generations present for that one, I've posted the pic around here quite a few times....

Steely Dan hired many studio musicians, and never had a core band of their own. Fagan and Becker were college buddies (Bard College, "the old school"), both with classical trained music backgrounds. Fagan wrote most of the music and lyrics. Walter Becker was an excellent guitarist and played lead on some of their hits.

The lead on "Never going back..." was Jeff Baxter, who also played with the Doobie Brothers.

One of the best leads guitarists of all time is on Reelin' in the Years. Studio guitarist who wrote and performed the licks was Elliot Randall (now 75 years old). He never joined a band, he just kept playing as a studio musician and instructor. He can still play:

I can't launch at my old elementary school or high school. Both are gone. One is a social services building, the other has a senior home on the property. Somewhat appropriate!

This might be a Calvin and Hobbs. Still, there is enough (too much actually) carnage with handguns, lets not upgrade to rockets.

Back