EVENT LUNAR Snow Ranch (NORCAL) December 4th, 2021

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m looking forward to it! My last “normal” event prior to covid was a LUNAR launch at Snow Ranch in March of 2020. I haven’t been to any launches since then, so this is going to be a treat. I’m picking out rockets and prepping motors today.

This is from the last launch. Mine is the stretched Warlock on the right.

38BEE0F8-B47B-49DD-AB89-8CCBA1BCB430.jpeg

Last edited:
Well, I went to the launch, and it was not a great day for rocketry, but I still had a fun time.

Unfortunately, there was a LOT of fog. Sometimes the area can be foggy during the morning, but it generally burns off early. This time it lingered all day. Anything over 300 feet just disappeared into the cloud layer, so it turned into a low power day for the most part. Good day for spools and saucers. I only had 3 flights. I flew a scratch-built 2” diameter rocket I made for flying sketchy E12 motors that sims to 400 feet, and it disappeared into the murk. The hero of my fleet was an old NCR Big Brute that is 4” in diameter. It has the non-standard 28.5” motor mount that won’t accept 29mm motors, so the only motors I own that fit are F44-4s, and those only pop it up to about 300 feet. That was perfect. I flew it twice on F44s. I have 5 fully-prepped rockets ready to go that I was unable to fly.

So, not the best conditions for rocketry. But I had a great time catching up with rocket buddies I hadn’t seen for nearly 2 years. I ate at least 3 donuts, maybe 4. I kind of enjoyed the drive. And it was fun being out at the ranch. I’m glad I went.

That was some soupy fog for sure. We just flew a few Estes and enjoyed the pinata. Heard about the red wildman lost and found rocket on the mailbox and got my hopes up that it was my daughter's punisher mini from 2018, no such luck, it was a red small endeavor I believe.

Low Power only was quite disappointing, but certainly understandable, with the fog. I didn’t go, because it was super foggy at my house and I know from experience that it was only going to be even foggier on the trip to Snow Ranch. I couldn’t abide three hours of driving in the fog just to launch Estes rockets; I could do that locally at the high school.

Back