• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Rocketry Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Found LumaDyne 4-40 Threaded Inserts

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've tried and he said only apogee can sell them. I reached out to Chris again voicemail and email. No response. Apogee keeps getting a cancel on the order since fall.

Yeah, none of those are the same at all. The LumaDyne inserts are specially coated:

"The aluminum inserts are chemically coated with a patent pending treatment (CTXPPT treatment by Vindicoat, LLC. For more information regarding the latest advancements in conversion coating visit Vindicoat.com). This treatement changes the surface of the aluminum inserts so that epoxy will grab hold of the aluminum, and it becomes a permanent addition to your rocket. Without the special treatment, epoxy doesn't really grip the aluminum, and the inserts could pop out, like you may have experienced with some untreated aluminum conformal launch rail guides."

Also, (and probably more importantly) none of the others that turned up using that search are as short as the LumaDynes, they are all much taller. The LumaDynes are .09 inches, vs. about .25 inches for the others. I spent a good afternoon a while back trying to find something similar and could not, but maybe my Google-fu isn't that strong. The LumaDynes are essentially flush mount, nothing else I found came close.

Tony

I have also been using PEM nuts in my high power fiberglass rockets and T-nuts in cardboard. Recently, with the introduction of thin wall tubes, a bit of epoxy helps with holding them in place.

The LumaDyne fasteners have a face plate to them so you dont have to countersink the screw to the airframe. It has an aluminium flange to hold the countersink in the threaded part. Pem nuts are great but it's not what I'd choose to build with.

The LumaDyne fasteners have a face plate to them so you dont have to countersink the screw to the airframe. It has an aluminium flange to hold the countersink in the threaded part. Pem nuts are great but it's not what I'd choose to build with.

I saw them at one time but never purchased. Good product but limited run and high prices. They appear to have disappeared from the market.

Two other sizes are still available from Apogee: https://www.apogeerockets.com/LumaDyne

I would sign up for the mailing list.

Yeah, none of those are the same at all. The LumaDyne inserts are specially coated:

"The aluminum inserts are chemically coated with a patent pending treatment (CTXPPT treatment by Vindicoat, LLC. For more information regarding the latest advancements in conversion coating visit Vindicoat.com). This treatement changes the surface of the aluminum inserts so that epoxy will grab hold of the aluminum, and it becomes a permanent addition to your rocket. Without the special treatment, epoxy doesn't really grip the aluminum, and the inserts could pop out, like you may have experienced with some untreated aluminum conformal launch rail guides."

Also, (and probably more importantly) none of the others that turned up using that search are as short as the LumaDynes, they are all much taller. The LumaDynes are .09 inches, vs. about .25 inches for the others. I spent a good afternoon a while back trying to find something similar and could not, but maybe my Google-fu isn't that strong. The LumaDynes are essentially flush mount, nothing else I found came close.

Tony

Ya, the height is the key. I've been able to find 1/8" height ones for some applications.
https://shop.stafast.com/weld-nuts/round-base/plain-base

Back