Luke Perry, 'Beverly Hills, 90210' and 'Riverdale' Star, Dies at 52

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Saw this news this morning. I never watched any of his TV shows either. However, I actually re-watched The Fifth Element last night. He had a small part at the beginning of that classic.

Sad. Never saw the show but it was a Favorite of high school and college girls during college.

RIP Luke.

My wife was a fan of his shows and was pretty sad. I was indifferent to him as an actor but it's tragic to die from a stroke at 52.

I was told at work that Luke Perry had died and when I asked who he was, they gave me a surprised look and said "SERIOUSLY DUDE"!
Life at work from here on out will never be the same:(

I was shoveling tons of snow yesterday when my wife ran to the front porch and told me that Luke Perry died. I literally said, "So....?"

I know that's crass, but I barely knew who the guy was. For a second I thought "maybe he died while shoveling snow. That would be interesting..."

A gal I used to work with is married to an airline pilot. (3) crewmen died when an Amazon Cargo plane crashed yesterday off the coast of Texas.

Her question on social media was why folks get so emotional about Hollywood folks dying? We don't really know these people, we briefly know some of their characters?

Go figure.

https://www.click2houston.com/news/...xnqX0ECbTOXn7-fFpnL5Swl7KKGNPFMVf6Y10Athfvl5E

View attachment 376203

You’re right, of course. It’s a kind of illusion. We see these actors grow up. We feel like we know them because their television show or movies were part of our lives. I never watched a single episode of BH 90210, but I watched Luke Perry in the movie about Lane Frost. That exposure results in empathy. When those public personae are much younger than we are it seems even more tragic, perhaps because it reminds us that it could have been our own kids.

You’re right, of course. It’s a kind of illusion. We see these actors grow up. We feel like we know them because their television show or movies were part of our lives. I never watched a single episode of BH 90210, but I watched Luke Perry in the movie about Lane Frost. That exposure results in empathy. When those public personae are much younger than we are it seems even more tragic, perhaps because it reminds us that it could have been our own kids.
It is a weird phenomenon that we can actually feel a kinship with people we've never met, just based on having seen their picture and/or heard their voice a lot. Take rock stars. Never met them, but felt the loss of Chris Squire, Keith Emerson, Greg Lake, Peter Tork, etc.

It is a weird phenomenon that we can actually feel a kinship with people we've never met, just based on having seen their picture and/or heard their voice a lot. Take rock stars. Never met them, but felt the loss of Chris Squire, Keith Emerson, Greg Lake, Peter Tork, etc.

Great point. I still remember when Bon Scott and John Bonham died. As a teenager I found it all so confusing.

Back