LPR: SPEV to use Left Over Booster from Lost Mongoose

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brockrwood

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I am starting a build of an odd-roc “SPEV” (spare parts elimination vehicle).

I have a left over booster from a 1990’s or early 2000’s era Estes “Mongoose” two stage rocket. This is the older version of the Mongoose before Estes changed the design and updated the color scheme and decals.

I must have launched the Mongoose on a C6-0 and a C6-7, because the sustainer and all of the rocket is missing except for the booster section. That must have tumbled straight back down. Memory fades…

Anyway, I have had this booster section in my parts bin for years. I have a BT-50 tube (18” long), a plastic nose cone to fit, some papered Apogee “Avion” fins left over from another project, 18mm motor mount kit, straw piece for lanch lugs, and all other stuff to turn this booster into a functioning two-stage rocket again. :)

The color scheme on the old Mongoose was yellow, pink, orange, and black.

Those colors have to be the colors of some country’s flag. :)

The hardest part will be measuring to figure exactly where to install the sustainer motor mount.

Does anyone have the instructions for the old version of the Mongoose? That might help me install a sustainer motor mount so that the booster part connects to it nicely.

4A2AD396-C675-4C63-BB52-DA25EF643DB9.jpeg

DB7FB34E-B250-480A-B5D7-2EA73B53B1C1.jpeg

Here is the completed model rocket to make use of the old, left over booster from the Estes Mongoose. Pretty close color match, if I do say so myself!

:)

8A07E221-9DA3-4E1A-A8BC-9976A1C69D0D.jpeg

AB41B5E2-0751-47AB-BD8B-C4170138F56B.jpeg

Now to get the stability right. This model rocket is a bit shorter than the original Estes Mongoose. I may need to put some clay in the nose.

Back