LPR Space Shuttle Build - just for neil_w

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@burkefj Frank, I think I've got 3-4 flights on it. I got to flights with A8-3s in the SRBs. I had trouble getting the Quantum to release the SRBs before apogee, and ended up with tangling - one SRB with external tank. The Quantum is pure baro-based and it's really hard to get tight timing on low flights - and this is a low flier.

It's been sitting on my 1/100 display shelf for a while. Maybe I'll try putting a Proton in and seeing what the all-ready weight would be - I've had better luck doing low-fast events with the Proton.

Neat, is it still arcing toward the tank a bit on boost or were you able to trim that out with shuttle elevator? How's the shuttle flying after separation?

@burkefj , I looked for flight videos, but couldn't find them. I -think- it was boosting ok. The glider flies straight ok, but you can't turn it much without the nose dipping.

When you released your shuttle model, I spent some time figuring out the tube sizing for a matching stack. It's really tempting - but I'm still working through sounding rockets these days.

I understand. If you did build it as a glider only it would be quite a bit lighter and you could trim the wing back to a more scale outline without hurting the way it flies. I'm working with boyce to offer an aftermarket 3D printed shuttle cone that weighs the same as the carved foam one that the kit comes with that you can just swap in, trim the front of the wing down a little bit and make an easier job out of it. I think you'll also offer it with a plug-in set of display nozzles for the rear.

@burkefj , I looked for flight videos, but couldn't find them. I -think- it was boosting ok. The glider flies straight ok, but you can't turn it much without the nose dipping.

When you released your shuttle model, I spent some time figuring out the tube sizing for a matching stack. It's really tempting - but I'm still working through sounding rockets these days.

I am aware. I like my Tercel. And am a fan of the Centuri Hummingbird. I just have some specific goals in mind.

You can always "get fancy" . . . A "Scissor-Flop" and the "Jacomb Special", for example.

Dave F.

S4scissor-flop.jpg

Attachments

• JACOMB-SPECIAL-S4A-Instructions-UK-Oct-10.pdf
    630.4 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
BEAKER and X-13.jpg

Cold Power Boost Gliders!

Be still my fluttering heart. 😍

Back