LPR->MPR on Stormcaster

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spacecowboy

Reaction score
After the fun I had with Aerotech's Astrobee D, I had to re-group.
What that really means is fly something with a smaller engine vs the biggest MPR motor I can find (G80).

I have an Estes Stormcaster, that is about to become 2 separate birds. I'm going to 1/2 the motor mount, use the lower fin-slotted body tube and build an F40 bird. Leave the lower centering ring unattached, fill the internal fillets with that spray in foam stuff, then put the lower CR in and hope like crazy the motor stop doesn't blow through.

I'm all ears if this is a bad idea.

after a couple of days, and no replies, uh, this is the 65th view, I'm wondering if it ain't 64-0 out there rooting for a major shred :kill:

I changed the foam idea on internal fillets to CyA. Those fins aren't moving, especially since I used thin, and didn't realize how much went in. Also, watered down yellow glue, with a paint brush on the balsa fins. It's just too easy to do, and my other birds I've used this technique on have very sturdy fins.

Last big *if* is the LL placement, probably spec it relative to the BigBertha set up.

Go with an F20 for this bird.

Baby steps!

It should work.

sandman

Sandman

I can always count on you to set me on correct course.
BTW, where's the decal monitors you were sending over ????

Anyway, I can readily get D's & E's. All I have in MPR is 2-G80, and 2-F40 left. I can hardly find MPR motors with all these stupid new rules.

The plan may be d12, e9, then f40.
And thanks, I really think this thing is going to sizzle.

last spring I built 2 Stormcasters, one set up for a E9 and the other with 3-18mm motor mounts. Both fly great. Once the lakes are frozen over enough I plan on launching the one on a F to test our spotters eyesite.

Originally posted by Zak Orion
... Once the lakes are frozen over enough I plan on launching the one on a F to test our spotters eyesite.
Shouldn't be long if the weather that we have today hangs around. She's a balmy 1* out right now. ;)

Sandman
decal monitors. . . .they're dropping by because I don't like to use decals very often.
sort of akin to a visit by the KGB. . . .

Sandman, (and anybody else)

I've never heard that at a launch before : WOW, that one went right over my head !

Anyway, photo op for 'caster, probably going to be called Hellcaster, with an upcoming, super-top-secret, 2004 corvette paint job.
Yeah right.

last thing before paint is the LL, I guess I'm going to put it just below the upper CR, which is about 3/8" below the start of the leading edge on the fins. Then again, I may need to move the LL a bit higher, like on Bertha. Could use some *help* on a guess-timation.

I've pushed and shoved on the back end of this bird, fins and all. 7 external fillets, and a good glop of CyA for internal fillets. If anything on this shreds, it's going to be upstairs.

Enjoy the pic, it "looks" evil, why hellcaster is at the top for a name.

Originally posted by Stones
Shouldn't be long if the weather that we have today hangs around. She's a balmy 1* out right now. ;)

The club I am in plans on launching on a local lake in the beginning of January. I just went out there today and saw ice fishers out there. Also checked a pond in the town that I live in and it seems solid, but I didn't get to the middle before the local cop chased me off of it(might have something to do with the last time he saw me on that pond on a 71 ski doo snowmobile about 15 feet above the ice)

Thanks in advance, where does the launch lug go on this bird ?

My "rule of thumb" on a launch lug is roughly around the center of gravity.

If yer gonna use more than one launch lug, have the CG somewhere between them.

sandman

Sandman

I plan on using the single piece LL, but maybe cutting it in 1/2 is a better idea.
Hopefully, Santa shows up with a copy of SIM.
In the meantime, can you give me a "hint" where CG might be (from the bottom of the BT) ???? Thanks.

ps. ALL.
On this date, a year ago, I met, as she says it, "cornered" her in the church parking lot. We got married 6/28.
Today, she shows up with a gift, and I said I can wait until Christmas.
Ok, no, I can't at her insistence. I knew what it was, just not which one.

Hello, Executioner.
She's felt pretty bad that I cato'd Astrobee, and the sweet thing is I can bash (sort of, without any work) this thing to take F's.

Sweet. I found a keeper.

Sandman, and the rest of y'all

'caster was aptly renamed Plasma, from a paint scheme involving a core sample of the earth (no bad luck reference, I assure you, read on, I'm tired of core samples). See pic, along with AMRAAM

AARG, 1/3. Sailor that I am, guessing winds at +20. some dude has a gadget, reading 18-27. Hum.

First club flight of the year, frantically trying to change a chute for streamers....D12-3. Chased this thing over 1/2 mi.

Executioner up next. E9-6. Three cartwheels less than 75 ft off the ground, but no damage. I suspect 1) wind, 2) rusty launch rod, and 3) 3X length of BT in elastic, for effect, and all that weight below CG, got a spinner. . . .
Exe E30-4. I loaded this thing up with barf and wadding to keep the shock cord upstairs. Nice flight, 10 degrees into the wind, and pop, cone is off, no chute.

Getting tired of burying these things. Cut off 5.5" of BT, it can fly again, but I guess my question is :
"how to you get to that successful MPR launch" ????

"how to you get to that successful MPR launch" ????

The answer is "attention to detail!"

Not too little or too much wadding...just right.

Packing the chute just right (that takes practice).

Nowing how to judge a center of gravity and center of presure changes AFTER the rocsim is finished and you are at the launch pad. Wadding and parachutes change things!

When you find a combination that works, don't make a big change! "If this much works, twice as much should work twice as good!" ...NOT!!!

Listen to successful flyers, ask questions, watch and learn.

It takes patience and practice to just get the "feel" of it.

sandman

Back