• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Rocketry Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Wanted Low price 38mm engine retainer

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You just missed discounts from Launch Lab Rocketry. Their 38mm hard plastic retainer is normally $17, I think.

3D printed would be cheaper, but I haven't found a nice screw type 38mm one. You could scale one of the many 29mm STLs, but that would require some experimentation to get right.

What diameter rocket? If large enough to fit, these are the same as the Z clips provided with many high power kits. I ditch the wood screw and install a t nut....which is a couple bucks for a 25 pack at the local hardware store.

https://a.co/2GZg2aC

Tape is your best friend

Second best and cheapest is the Launch Lab retainer. I have a few of these and they are REALLY nice. The 38mm one is a bit bulky but that's not a bad thing. I really like them, they are very high quality injection molded parts, and their price point is fantastic. I plan to use them on new builds where I don't need the extreme robustness of an Aeropack.

Missed that, sorry and thanks! Multitasking (working lol).

No worries. There are also similar mirror clips that can be found at hardware stores more readily (at least in my experience) and those seem to work just fine and may fit smaller body tubes than these table top fastener clips.

I use the Launch Lab retainer for the same reason you are asking. Best bang for your buck. Aluminum retainers are pretty, but I can't justify the cost.

Tape works. Some folks like it and some don't. For me, it looks like a last minute 'fix' and it has to be removed and added every flight. Just not my thing.

I you are going to pay for a reusable trainer, buy Aeropack. I you are going cheap, use tape.

I bought a couple of the launch lab plastic retainers. They remind me of the Estes plastic screw-on retainers, just bigger for 38mm. I think they will work well, and I know a few people who use them and are happy with them. These were to replace some z-clips that came with some LOC kits.

Z-clips were for the fancy folks!

Unless you roll your own from scrap!

A pair of needle nose pliers will easily transform one of these here things (scarfed from a hanging file folder at work) into these here retention clips, gratis.

retainers and stock.jpg

The top one is for a 54-38 adapter, thus the double step.

retainer1.png

Use what you have.

3/4" Masking tape thrust ring for non reloadables. Two wraps of tape around the joint at end of motor mount tube to prevent motor eject. Tried and true for half a century and counting... Z-clips are good, but not for minimum diameter...

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I was really looking for screw on retainers only. I am a big fan of friction fit (tape). I got my level 1 using it. I just like the aesthetic and reliability (?) of the screw cap retainers. I am aware of the Launch Lab product. I think it is over priced. The price is almost right, if it included shipping. Just how I feel about it. I know they have to make a living and all.

With some testing, I could print one for you for a few bucks.

If you want something more positive than tape for cheap, I like using a piece of allthread rod epoxied to the motor mount with a nut threaded on it that sits against the edge of the motor. If you're feeling fancy, use two nuts jammed against each other to prevent slipping - I wouldn't recommend locknuts as the nylon insert tends to get toasted by motor splashback.

Back