Low Power launch on AFB?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tsholcomb

Reaction score
Hi,

Does anyone know if I can launch near or on an Air Force base? I read something that said that as long as they weigh less then 16 ounces or have less than 4 ounces of fuel they can be launched anywhere.

Thank you!

Thomas

Welcome. And a location for where you are would help. Ultimately, no one can authorize launching on a base other than the Base Commander or his designee. Off base, if the land is public, there are fewer restrictions, depending on your city.

I would discourage launching on an air force base specifically because you're near an active runway and active aircraft approaches. Even some smaller rockets on C motors can go over 1000 ft AGL. Not to mention that Security Forces could not be too happy that you're launching something even resembling a weapon on base. Same rules go for how close you are to a base. Within 5 miles, I'd be very careful. You don't want some crazy person saying that you're shooting rockets at aircraft. Drive a bit further out to a nice park with a big field.
Some bases have outreach programs for kids and launch rockets on A motors, but angle the rod at 45 degrees and the rockets don't go above 50 ish ft.
My suggestion: Definitely DO NOT launch on base. If off base, just go find a big park a few miles away and you'll be much better off for it.

Last edited:
Many moons ago I was stationed at Minot AFB, ND, and we did have an area on base where we could launch LPR rockets. It was well away from the flight line/runway, and we had the permission of the Base Commander, and the Security forces were duly notified ahead of time. We only launched on weekends when flying was normally at a minimum anyway.

Many moons ago I was stationed at Minot AFB, ND, and we did have an area on base where we could launch LPR rockets. It was well away from the flight line/runway, and we had the permission of the Base Commander, and the Security forces were duly notified ahead of time. We only launched on weekends when flying was normally at a minimum anyway.

+1
Most stateside military installations are very friendly to family activities and hobbies. If you are in service or a dependant, simply asking a few questions and finding the approving authority will probably result in a fun weekend launch and possibly a spectator or two. I don't have them handy right now but having the Model Rocket Safety Code handy and being prepared to explain how you will adhere to the code is a good idea. Have a potential launch site or three ready to pitch and be sure that you have conducted a safety survey and know what would be safe to launch at each one. You may even bring a completed kit ready to fly (sans motor of course) just in case your audience is unfamiliar with the hobby. If you really want to speak their language, look up Composite Risk Management and show how you have followed the five step risk management process. This may seem like a lot but keep your audience in mind, they will be much more receptive if they feel that you have been thorough.

If you are not in the serviCE or a dependant, find a park that is a safe distance from the airfield (shouldn't be too hard) and launch IAW local ordinances.

Many years ago, I got permission to fly at Ellsworth AFB. Did it a few times while stationed there.

Hi,

Does anyone know if I can launch near or on an Air Force base? I read something that said that as long as they weigh less then 16 ounces or have less than 4 ounces of fuel they can be launched anywhere.

Thank you!

Thomas

Not sure what you read but it sounds like an imperfect citation of the FAA rules for amateur rockets in U.S airspace - FAR 101 Part C. You can read all about it here: https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?rgn=div5&node=14:2.0.1.3.15#sp14.2.101.c

The general rules are these:

(1) Is launched on a suborbital trajectory;

(2) When launched, must not cross into the territory of a foreign country unless an agreement is in place between the United States and the country of concern;

(3) Is unmanned; and

(4) Does not create a hazard to persons, property, or other aircraft.

(b) The FAA may specify additional operating limitations necessary to ensure that air traffic is not adversely affected, and public safety is not jeopardized.

A Class 1 amateur rocket has no more than 4.4 ounces of propellant in an airframe weighing no more than 53 ounces (including propellant). Flying amateur rockets above the 4.4/53 ounce limit (Class 2 and 3) require authorization and notification from local air traffic control. NAR and Tripoli clubs are very familiar with this process. If you have one in your area I'd suggest talking to those folks.

I would suspect (but don't know) that a military installation might have additional rules and concerns regarding any flight activities in their vicinity. While I'm a big proponent of "Easier to beg forgiveness than ask for permission" in this case I might make an exception and ask for permission. Good luck and let us know what happens.

Last edited:
One of the rules that has been overlooked is we are not to fly model rockets within a 5 mile radius of any Operating airport.. (that is also from FAA Far-101).

That being said: My old boy scout troop was sponsered by Naval District Washington. We met on the Annacostia Naval Housing base at Bellview, DC. We regularly got permission to launch model rockets (AS A Sponsered Group) from Bolling/Annacostia Joint USAF/Naval Air Base soccer fields about 500 yards from the south capitol street Bridge, 400 yrds from interstate 295, only 1.5miles from Reagan National Airport , and less then 1mile from Marine-one persidential helicopter base.

It was actaully kind of fun seeing some inbound flights to National divert slightly around us to parallel the Annocastia river.

Since 911 it has become much more problematic to get permission to do anything on military bases, Unless you are Active in the Military already.

BSA Rocketry-a1_Pre-Expo shake down launch_03-29-86.jpg

009Lp03-sm_Interceptor & me 2pic 3rd Flt_04-19-86.jpg

011a-Lp01a_Space Shuttle Atlantis 1st flt w 004 & 010 (Anacostia Naval Air, DC)_05-1985.jpg

030Lp01a-sm_Honest John Liftoff_05-09-87.jpg

046Lp07b_Der Red Max MidFlight (Anacostia NavalAir Station, DC)_03-27-88.jpg

060Lp01i_Optima Bad Flight 8pic pg_04-14-90.jpg

060Lp02e_Optima Better Flight 4 pic pg_05-26-90.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome. And a location for where you are would help. Ultimately, no one can authorize launching on a base other than the Base Commander or his designee. Off base, if the land is public, there are fewer restrictions, depending on your city.

This. You would need to check with the Base Commander and possibly the Base Fire Marshall and Base ATC. Some bases have active exercises and you want to avoid those times.

Greg

likely best place to start is the base information officer, servicemen should also consider 'MWR' office to see what is allowed on base.
Rex

Advice to the OP. I recommend you personally look up alleged laws and rules people cite on this forum. FAR Part 101 has already been misrepresented on this thread.

It was not your post.

The following only applies to class 2 and above rockets:

(e) Within 9.26 kilometers (5 nautical miles) of any airport boundary without prior authorization from the FAA;

However....other factors may come into play such as restricted areas or creating a hazard.

It was not your post.

The following only applies to class 2 and above rockets:

(e) Within 9.26 kilometers (5 nautical miles) of any airport boundary without prior authorization from the FAA;

However....other factors may come into play such as restricted areas or creating a hazard.

Aha Thanks. I hope the OP gets the message that whatever rules and regs we quote here, while important to know, will not take precedence over the local landowner/fire marshall/county judge/etc. etc. etc.

Back