Quantcast

Low power dual deploy

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

sl98

Reaction score
Virtually, any Estes kit can be easily modified to dual deploy. My first foray into DD was with an Estes Mega Sizz and an original Eggtimer. With the Mega Sizz, I learned the key to LPR/MPR DD is to keep everything as light as possible. I moved to the Quark with a micro 1S lipo for all of my LPR/MPR DD. I’ve since added an Estes Monarch, Vagabond, STM-012, and D-Region Tomahawk. I also have a number of DD scratch builds using BT-50, BT-55, and BT-60 and 29mm body tube. The FlightSketch Sport may also be a nice alternative when it becomes available.

LPR/MPR DD is a great way to learn DD. I continue to fly more LPR/MPR DD than HPR DD because I can fly LPR/MPR at my local flying field. If you are interested, here are a few threads with pictures of some of my LPR/MPR AV bays.

sl98

Reaction score
Maybe. I’m not an electrical engineer. Worse case scenario you can just use an ematch to nothing.
Before the release of the Eggtimer Apogee, I used a Quark for single channel deploy. The apogee channel has the charge. For the main, I wired on a small incandescent X-mas bulb in lieu of a charge.

Neutron95

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Before the release of the Eggtimer Apogee, I used a Quark for single channel deploy. The apogee channel has the charge. For the main, I wired on a small incandescent X-mas bulb in lieu of a charge.
Why would you need to do that? Every altimeter that I'm aware of will fire the main chare whether or not there's a charge attached to the drogue, and vice versa.

sl98

Reaction score
Why would you need to do that? Every altimeter that I'm aware of will fire the main chare whether or not there's a charge attached to the drogue, and vice versa.
I'm sure @cerving could explain much better than I can.. With the Quark you need resistance across both the apogee and main channels; otherwise, you will get a continuity error and the unit won't arm. I am slowly replacing this setup with the new Apogee for the rockets where I only need apogee deployment.

MetricRocketeer

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I was thinking about using a Jolly Logic Chute Release to do low-powered dual-deployment. This would eliminate the need for any kind of black-powder charge.

I wanted to use an Estes Firestorm that I have lying around. My question is this. The diameter of the Firestorm air tube is 4.17 cm (that is, slightly more than 1.6 inches). Would I be able to fit the JLCR inside the rocket and have the parachute wrapped around it to accomplish the goal?

Thank you.

Stanley

SecondRow

Reaction score
Jolly Logic recommends a tube size of at least BT-60 (1.6 in) which is what the Firestorm is. It will be a tight fit, but is doable. Practice your chute packing.

Nytrunner

Pop lugs, not drugs
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
That's a BT-60 tube. The chute release will fit in there, and the plastic estes chute rolls small enough that it won't interfere sliding out.

Notes:
-Pay careful attention to the recommended chute wrapping technique. There's a video on the site (and/or youtube)
-Make sure to do a release check to make sure there's enough tension in the rubber band to spring away from the chute. (sometimes with the small estes chutes, I have to put a piece of a stick in the bundle too, otherwise there isn't enough tension to release cleanly)
-When bundled up, give it a good shake to make sure its on securely (not as big a deal for low power, but it's real annoying for it to shake off a chute at 4k')
-Don't forget to tie it to the shock cord loop you attache the chute to.
-Don't forget to turn it on before flight (most common failure mode)

MetricRocketeer

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Hi SecondRow and Nytrunner,

Thank you for your very helpful posts.

Stanley

gtg738w

FlightSketch - flightsketch.com
TRF Sponsor
Reaction score
Russ, any updates on the FS Sport or SST
We were so close on the sport... Around New Years there were supply issues with a few parts so we made some substitutions, did another prototype run and got an order out on 1/28. Unfortunately, the fab house sat on it for almost two weeks and then had other parts unavailable. Order was cancelled on 2/16 and now it looks like parts won't be in until June-July at best. Ublox is even worse for the tracker. There was a fire at one of their subs for TCXOs so they are way out. It will probably be fall before any qty is available. We're recycling parts off of old boards to continue with prototypes... But trying to stay positive, if anything it will give us time to focus on some much needed web and firmware updates.

Scott_650

Reaction score
...like parts won't be in until June-July at best. Ublox is even worse for the tracker. There was a fire at one of their subs for TCXOs so they are way out. It will probably be fall before any qty is available....
Now, at the very least, I can plan on what I’m buying myself for Christmas 😉