Quantcast

Low Cost Laser Cutters?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

evvo

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I keep seeing low cost solid state laser cutter/engravers on Banggood and AliExpress in the 2W to 5.5W range, typically between $200 and $300.
There's also the 40W CO2 laser cutters on AliExpress and eBay for about $400 to $500.
I only do low & mid power, so most of what I'd be cutting would be card stock shrouds, cardboard centering rings, and balsa fins.
I might occasionally cut thin basswood or ply.

Has anyone had any experience with these devices? would a 3W solid state be able to cut through 1/8" ply and 3/16 balsa?

bobkrech

Reaction score
A 3 watt solid state laser won't cut anything.

A 40 watt CW CO2 laser will cut paper, balsa, basswood, and many but not all plastics. A higher power laser will cut thicker materials, or thinner materials quicker but not by much.

A 40 watt CW CO2 laser will not cut fiberglass, carbon fiber or metal.

I would buy my Chinese laser cutter from an American vendor instead of directly from China. If you have a problem, it is much easier to resolve it here than having to deal with China.

Check out earlier TRF threads for some useful information.

neil_w

Marginally Stable
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Looks like this unit is a likely low-end 40W model: https://www.ebay.com/bhp/40w-laser. Bed is only 12"x8", though, which is fine for most fins at a thickness this thing can cut, but not big enough for some other interesting things.

Man I would love to have one of these things, or at least have easy access to one...

vcp

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Looks like this unit is a likely low-end 40W model: https://www.ebay.com/bhp/40w-laser. Bed is only 12"x8", though, which is fine for most fins at a thickness this thing can cut, but not big enough for some other interesting things.

Man I would love to have one of these things, or at least have easy access to one...
That looks pretty much like the one I got last year for about $400. It is truly remarkable what you get at that price but be prepared to be frustrated by the software/controller. Many replace this with a smoothieware controller that is much more capable. There are also lots of hacks to improve the mechanics and airflow, upgrade optics, and such.

caveduck

semi old rocketeer
Reaction score
A really good place to gather information is the Laser Cutting/Engraving section of CNCZone: https://www.cnczone.com/forums/laser-engraving-and-cutting-machines/ Other sections on CNCZone are great if you're into lathe/mill machining too. I disclaim all responsibility if you get sucked in :) Inexpensive Chinese lasers, even the larger ones, have to be considered as projects unto themselves (just like the mini lathes). Bob's advice to buy from a US reseller is very sound. DIY machine making is very much an option too now that there is an industry around making parts for 3D printers.